14| imaginary path

CHAPTER 14

It's you. It's you.
It's always been you

~Nathaniel's Lyric Journal

I SPENT THE REST OF THE SHIFT SILENT.

I dropped the topic about Elise and just focused on finishing my shift as quietly and efficiently as possible. Standing quietly behind the cash register, I couldn't help but let my thoughts drift back her.

She was there even on the drive home and while I was showering. They were powerful, keeping me occupied and distorted time, making it feel like I have been only thinking about her for a few moments when in reality it was several hours.

When I was getting dressed, I saw my guitar lying on top of the box. Staring it, I felt something in me, coming to make it's appearance for the second time.

I wanted to play the guitar.

I played it before but not with this urge. Before, it was forcing myself to get back into a routine. To become reacquainted with an old face. This was different, this was a burning desire. A deep love making its reappearance. I didn't realize how much I missed that feeling until it appeared.

The only thing that pulled me from my mind was a sharp knock on the door. Swinging my head to the direction of the door, I flattened my pair of shorts as I walked to the door. I ran my fingers through my hair to make it look more presentable from the shower and flattened my shirt to hide any wrinkles.

I took a deep breath, feeling my heart speed a bit as I opened the door to Elise.

She was standing a few feet away, arms behind her back with a shy smile. I waved and took in the view.

Looking at her made something in me stir. She wasn't looking particularly extravagant but the pale blue dress with flowers on it made her look good. It was a simple dress with two thin straps to show off her shoulders, the dress fitting her upper torso and the dress ending along her thighs.

My heart pounded faster when I peaked her lean legs.

Fuck. Maybe David was on to something.

"Hey," she greeted softly, first to break the silence.

I straightened myself when she spoke.

"Hey," I managed to say. "You look nice."

Nice was not the right word, but I couldn't say anything else. I needed to get a hold of myself. She ran her fingers through her hair, allowing it to fall past her shoulders. My eyes remained focused on her smile.

"Thanks," she said with a sweet smile.

I opened the door wider, gesturing her inside.

"Come in." She followed at my words, taking her eyes off of me. "Would you like a tour of the house?"

She nodded. "Sure." She followed behind me while I point out the rooms. There were only a few knick knacks and objects to point out. She didn't ask questions, taking everything in quietly next to me.

"So you have seen the living room. And right over there is my kitchen and dining hall right there," I explained, pointing at the various rooms. When we finally got to my bedroom, I swung the door wide open. "This is my room. Feel free to look around, but I recommend not looking into it too intensely."

She walks past me, walking into the room. She turned to me curiously. "Why? Are you hiding something?"

I shook my head, following behind her. "That's not it."