Chapter Two

Warnings: Briefly implied physical abuse, Beau is a jerk in general, angst

Word Count: 2820

Authors' Note: We just wanted to say a quick thank you to all the support you've been showing us so far, it means the world! With that being said, we hope you enjoy this next chapter :)

*     *     *

July 2012 - Before The Regional At Best Tour

"Why didn't you tell me before you sent that application, Y/N?! Do you just not give a damn about what I think anymore?!" Beau yelled at you, after you had finally gathered up enough courage to tell him about your new job. An hour and a half later, it was going exactly as you had expected and you were deeply regretting saying a word.

"Beau, you know that's not true! But I had to finally do something for myself! I can't keep sitting around and hoping that something will just fall into my lap. I had to take a chance!" His face filled with rage and his nostrils flared as he breathed heavily in and out, his eyes bore into you as if they wanted to put a hole straight through your head.

"So you choose to pick a job that keeps you away for months?! No. I don't think so. You know how worried I can get! You better call them right now and tell them that they need to find someone else!" Clenching your jaw in frustration, you decide that you've ultimately had enough of him making you feel bad for you wanting to better your life.

"That's not happening." For the first time in your relationship with him, you felt empowered and it was a feeling you never wanted to forget.

It had taken a bit of convincing on his part, but Josh had finally decided that he would drop by and see how things were going with you getting ready for the tour. This was, of course, a total cop out of him wanting to admit that he was already catching feelings for you. It was the quickest that he had ever felt something for someone and it all started with a look in your eyes... that was all it took. Pulling up into your driveway, he parked his car and then started heading for your front door before realizing that something wasn't right. Before he had even stepped foot onto the porch, he heard yelling from the inside of the home, recognizing only one of the voices on the other side of the door. Yours.

Internally battling with himself, wondering if he should even knock now, he forced his hand up to the door and just about knocked on the door when it swung open and he was face-to-face with a complete stranger. What was he doing in Y/N's house? Who was this guy? As jealousy started to bubble over a little, he stared at the man with wide eyes for a few moments before blinking and relaxing a bit.

"Is Y/N here?"

"Who's asking?"

"My name is Josh... she actually is my band's manager."

Before the man could get a word in, you appeared by his side and it brought a smile to Josh's face. "Josh? What are you doing here?" you asked curiously, but were so thankful that he had shown up when he did.

"I was just here to check in and see how packing was going." A lie. He tilted his head slightly, keeping his eyes on you and trying to ignore the fuming man beside you.

You chanced a look down at Beau's hands. Sure enough, they were clenched into fists as he stood slightly in front of you to shield you from this supposed stranger. Trying to keep the peaceful facade up, you reached out and rested a hand on Beau's arm. His muscles were tense beneath your fingers, ready to strike at any moment. Not even your gentle touch could get him to relax.

"You know this guy?" Beau said, turning to you slightly but never allowing his eyes to leave Josh.

"Yes. I'm the manager for his band, like he said." You tried to keep the edge out of your voice.