Chapter 8: Relax

Third person's POV

As Louisa and Cassandra left, Alden let out a deep sigh. He loved seeing his wife happy and he'd do anything to keep her this happy, but he was worried. He was worried about her and their child. What if something happened?

He really liked Cassandra, he liked it when she would visit them. Though, lately, she was indeed spending more time at his kingdom than at hers. He didn't mind, at all, but he did worry. He knew the Southerners would make a problem of Cassandra being here that much. It would be a matter of time.

"Are you alright, My Lord?"

Alden sighed deeply. "I don't know, Carl," He buried his face in his hands. "I'm happy Louisa and Cassandra are getting along so well but, at the same time, it worries me."

Carl nodded. "I understand," Carl too had wondered about Cassandra's presence. He liked her, as she was really nice, but he wondered how and why she was here that often. And what her government would do about that. "We don't know how the Crown feels about it."

"Exactly," Alden looked back up at Carl. "And I can't tell Cassandra not to come by anymore, can I?"

Carl shrugged.

"I mean, she's the queen, people should be listening to her, shouldn't they?"

"They should," Carl nodded. "But that doesn't mean they are."

Alden let out a frustrated sigh.

"Is everything alright?"

Carl looked behind him. "Yes, Chandler," He showed his son a reassuring smile. "Everything's alright, son, why don't you go back to your room? Have you finished reading the book I gave you?"

Chandler shook his head.

"Go on," Carl motioned him to leave again. "I'll be there after dinner time, ok?"

Chandler nodded before looking at Alden. "My Lord." He bowed before leaving the room.

"Well Carl," Alden started, gaining Carl's attention. "Your boy is well-raised."

Carl smiled a bit. "He is."

"How's your eldest?"

Carl sighed. "He's still trying to find his calling in life," He shook his head. He just wanted his son to find a job so he could get a house and start his life already. He just wanted his son to have a future. "I don't know what he's doing at the moment."

"You know, we'll need some extra help as soon as Louisa has given birth," Alden said to which Carl already knew what Alden was suggesting. "If he wants, he can start working here too."

Carl smiled a bit, he felt immense relief. "Thank you, My Lord." He bowed to show his gratitude.

"You're very welcome," Alden got up then. "Can you have lunch ready at 1?"

"Of course," Carl nodded. "It'll be set on the table for you."

Alden nodded. "Invite the boys for lunch," He smiled at Carl. "They're family too." He said before leaving the room.

___________________________

Cassandra's POV

"Aww come on," Louisa exclaimed. "You can't tell me you didn't see him look at you!"

I shrugged. "I didn't." I then jumped into the swimming pool they had. It was, once again, one of those things we didn't have at home. Even though it's a genius invention. I loved swimming.

"I told you about him but you left instead of talking to him."

"Louisa," I swam towards her. She was seated on the side of the swimming pool, she always needed to adjust to the water's temperature. "Even if I would like him, I couldn't get into a relationship with him as he's not a Southerner and he's not of our class."

She then nodded. "I liked him though," She giggled. "I would've talked to him but then I was reminded I already do have a partner."

"As if you need to be reminded about Alden..." I swam around a bit, I enjoyed it so much. I loved floating on the water, I loved feeling how water was carrying me. It's as if it wasn't only carrying me but also all of my problems and worries. As if, for that small moment in time, I don't have to carry it all.

"True," Louisa giggled. "He's my king," She giggled some more. "Quite literally."

I stopped floating and swam to her. "Aren't you going to get in? I miss you here."

She smiled at me. "Ok ok," She slowly got into the pool. "There," She swam to me. "Happy?"

"I am," I smiled before splashing some water over her. "Now, I'm even more happy."

"Not fair," Louisa said as she started splashing water over me too. "Cas, Stop!" She said while she kept splashing water over me.

"Is everything alright here?"

We both stopped and saw Alden stand by the side of the pool, in his swimwear.

"Louisa," He sat down by the side of the pool. "Are you ok?"

Louisa smiled a bit and swam to him. "I'm doing amazingly," She pushed herself up to kiss him on the lips. "You know Cassandra is looking out for me."

"I know," He looked at me then. "Thanks."

"Of course," I smiled at Louisa then. "I'll always have my best friend's back."

Louisa smiled at me.

"That's good," Alden nodded before looking at Louisa again. "Why don't we get some rest? I'm sure you'll need it after this exhausting day."

"No," She swam away from him then, towards me. "I actually enjoy swimming, honey."

I smiled at her before looking at Alden. He seemed really worried. Somehow that was so cute, he just wants his wife and child to be alright. "Hey Alden," I said, gaining his attention. "Why don't you get in and relax too?"

"Yes!" Louisa agreed enthusiastically.

Alden smiled at that and seemed to relax a bit. "Ok," He gently got into the pool, it was clear he wasn't a swimmer. "Here I am." He said as he swam towards us.

Louisa and I looked at each other, exchanging a look before splashing water over Alden. Alden would swim away but we would be able to get to him easily. He tried to splash water over us too, but he chose to flee rather than to fight us.

In the end, we spent a while in that pool. And I loved it. I loved spending time with them. I loved being here. I loved this life. I loved it all.

And yet, later that day, something happened that would change my life forever...