Chapter 25: The woman I fell in love with

James's POV

As Cassandra had left to talk to King Alden and Queen Louisa, I went to my dad and Chandler. I went to their room.

I knocked on the door before entering. "Hey."

Chandler smiled when he saw me. "Hey James," He then walked to me and hugged me. "When can we play a game together again?"

I smiled. "Soon, I hope." Chandler and I always played this game which involves throwing tiny stones against one another. It's a very easy game and very cheap.

"I'll beat you next time."

"I'm sure you will," I then looked at dad and saw him seated on his bed. He seemed worried. "Hey dad."

Dad looked at me. "Hey."

I gulped. "Dad, I'm sorry," I paused. "I'm sorry for being late this morning and I'm sorry for getting you involved in my problems."

"You're never late, James," He sighed. "Please don't start acting up again."

"I won't," I looked down then. "I'm past that period."

"I hope so."

I looked at dad again and noticed him looking down as well. He was really upset, he was worried because he didn't know why I changed. "I didn't oversleep."

He looked at me.

"I was with someone," I gulped. "I met this amazing woman and I love her deeply and she loves me," I paused. "I was with her last night which caused me to be late this morning. I'm sorry, dad."

Dad seemed surprised to hear this revelation. I didn't think he expected to hear good news. He somehow always expected bad news.

"I love her so much, dad, and I came here because I want to ask you if you know a place where I can buy a beautiful ring so I can propose to her." I then smiled.

Dad and Chandler smiled instantly.

"My son!" He walked to me and pulled me in for a tight hug. "You found a woman!"

"I did." I smiled.

"I want to meet her."

"Me too." Chandler said excitedly.

"I first want to propose to her," I said to which they nodded. I then looked at dad. "Do you know a place where I can buy a beautiful but affordable ring?"

Dad frowned before he suddenly nodded. He walked back to his bed, to his bedside table, and took something out of it. He then walked back to me. "Use this one."

I looked at what he had given me and then gasped. "Is this...?"

"It's your mother's," He nodded, smiling sadly. "I bought her that ring with all the money I got."

"Dad, I can't take this, it's yours. It's the only thing you have left of her."

He then held my hand in his. "It is your mother's, I know she would have wanted you to have it."

"But - "

"I loved your mother so dearly, I miss her every single day," He took a moment to regain his composure. "She has left me with two beautiful sons, who meant the world to her," He then looked me in the eyes. "She would have wanted you to use this ring."

I smiled a bit. "Thank you."

___________________________

I walked to the living room, as I knew Cassandra would be there. I knocked on the door before entering the room and indeed, spotted her there with King Alden and Queen Louisa.

"Hello, My Lord, Milady, and Your Highness." I bowed for them.

I could see Cassandra didn't like this, and I knew why. She looked from King Alden and Queen Louisa, at me. "James," She said to which I looked at her. "You are my personal butler still, can you get your father for Louisa and Alden?"

I nodded but gulped, I didn't like the way she was talking to me. It felt so distant.

I rushed back to dad's room to get him.

On our way back to the dining room, dad kept bugging me with questions about the woman I'd marry. He absolutely wanted to meet her, he wanted to thank her and all of that. It was sweet, but impossible...

"Here you go, Your Highness," I motioned to my dad who, in return, bowed. "Anything else?"

"No," She looked away, to the cup she was holding. "You can do your chores."

I gulped once more as I noticed just how normal Cassandra was treating me. This morning she wanted us to spend the day together in bed, now she's sending me away to do chores. "Like you wish, Your Highness." I then left the living room and walked to the garden.

When I arrived, I sighed as I started clipping the weeds. It was tedious work and it would take me the entire day to finish the huge lawn the castle had. I really don't understand what had gotten into Cassandra...

After 2 hours, I took a break and went to sit down in the grass. I was tired and sweaty. The sun blazing onto my back wasn't helping much.

"Hey James."

I looked at my right and saw Chandler walking up to me. "Hey," I sat up. "What are you doing here?"

He smiled as he went to sit down beside me. He then opened his hands and showed me 11 little stones. "I'll beat you."

I smiled. "We'll see about that."

___________________________

"Haha!" Chandler jumped around once again. "I won again!"

"You're getting too good at this," I smiled at him. "Congrats."

He sat down again. "Thanks," He started putting the stones in the right spot again. "You go first now."

I threw my stone at his and actually knocked a few over. "Yes, good first throw!"

Chandler chuckled a bit.

"Is this one of your chores as well, James?"

We both looked up and saw Cassandra. I immediately got up. "I'm sorry, I was just - "

"Sorry who?"

I gulped, I really didn't like this tone she was using against me. "I'm sorry, Your Highness," I gulped. "I was just taking a break to rest a bit."

She nodded but didn't seem convinced.

"Do you want to play too?" Chandler asked.

Cassandra looked at Chandler and then at the rocks. "You play with rocks?"

Chandler looked at the rocks before nodding. "It's a game James taught me," He smiled at Cassandra. "It's fun."

Cassandra looked from Chandler at me. "I want this lawn to be done by the end of the day."

"But that's impossible," I sighed. "It'll take me at least till 11 tonight to finish."

She shrugged. "So get on with it." She then left.

I gulped as I realized something had happened. This was not the woman I fell in love with.

"James," Chandler said, gaining my attention. "Can I help?"

I smiled. "No, you can play some more. But I'll have to work now."

He nodded and got up.

I watched him leave before letting out a breath and continuing my work.