Chapter 6: I need someone

Cassandra's POV

I rolled the scroll and smiled at them. "Well, this was really nice. It has been a pleasure arranging this with you two."

They nodded.

"I should get going," I got up then. "Or I'll be late for dinner."

"Would you like to join us for dinner?" Queen Louisa proposed.

I looked at her, then at King Alden, then back at her. "I don't want to be a bother."

"You're not," She smiled. "We'd love that."

I smiled too. "So do I."

"That's settled," King Alden got up. "I'll go tell Carl." He then left the room.

Queen Louisa looked at me and smiled.

I smiled too. I like her, and King Alden, they were incredibly nice people. They were kind and warm people. I could see why they got married, they're just perfect together. "How's married life?"

She smiled before looking at her wedding ring. "It's amazing," She played a bit with her ring. "I feel so lucky to have him," She looked at me. "I feel so safe with him, I know he has my back and it feels amazing."

My smile slowly dropped. "That must feel amazing indeed."

She nodded.

I sighed before looking down. 

"How about you?"

I looked at her.

"Do you have a partner?"

I sighed once more before shaking my head and looking down.

"Don't worry," She reached for my hand and placed hers on top of mine. "You'll find the perfect person, I know you will."

I slowly nodded even though I didn't really believe her. Somehow I found it hard to believe in true love, or in any kind of relationship. It all seems too magical, too good to be true. And where would I even start looking? I don't know any powerful people...

"Usually when you stop looking, love will find you," She said, gaining my attention. She nodded, smiling. "It's true."

Right then, King Alden entered the room again. "They'll be serving us in a bit," He went to sit down next to his wife. "They were already preparing dinner."

I nodded.

"So, what were you two talking about?" He asked as he looked at us.

Queen Louisa and I looked at each other before giggling a bit. "Nothing, honey," She said to her husband. "Women's business."

"Oh," He gulped before a slight red blush appeared on his cheeks. "I see."

______________________________

"Thanks," I said to the driver as he had helped me out of the carriage. "Goodnight."

He nodded and left.

I walked to the castle and entered. I walked straight to my room but, before I could enter, I noticed the Crown stand in front of my room. And I immediately knew something was wrong.

"Gentlemen, is there something wrong?"

They all didn't seem pleased with my question. Lord Gregory stepped forward. "Your Highness," He bowed, as it was the protocol to do so. "We were all very worried as we weren't informed about your whereabouts."

I then realized I didn't tell anyone where I was headed to, this morning. "I'm sorry," I nodded. "I should've told you," I then took the scroll, showing it to them. "I went to the Northern Kingdom and settled the alliance."

"Is that the agreement?" Lord Gregory asked as he pointed to the scroll.

I nodded. "Signed by the king and queen, and myself," I then handed it to him. "I hope my disappearance is forgiven now?" I smiled at them.

Lord Gregory looked at me and smiled. "Thank you, Your Highness."

The Crown bowed before leaving.

I nodded and entered my room. I sighed relieved as I was finally in my little safe place.

I got out of my clothes and laid down in bed. I took my diary and started writing about today. About the alliance. About dinner. And about the amazingly nice King Alden and Queen Louisa.

I smiled as I was writing about my day and I smiled as I put the book away safely. I just felt good. Today was a good day.

Then I laid down in bed, on my back. For a while, that felt good, until I looked at my right. An empty spot. I sighed as I realized I was alone. I didn't have someone to have my back. I didn't have someone to love me. I didn't have someone here with me. And I wanted someone.

Then, suddenly, my bedroom door opened.

I sat up and let out a breath. "Piers," I turned on the lights in my room. "What are you doing here?"

He walked to me and went to sit down on my bed. Then he just sat there, in silence.

"Piers?"

He sighed before looking at me. "I heard you went to the Northern Kingdom."

I slowly nodded. "I needed to arrange the alliance."

He looked down then.

"I know you have a hard time because of mother's death but, trust me, those people are nice. They're different and have other ways of life, but they're so nice."

He let out a sigh.

"Why don't you join me next time?"

He looked at me then.

"I'd love for you to join me," I then showed him a small smile. "We could go on an adventure, just the two of us. Like we always used to do."

He shrugged.

"Ah come on," I crawled over to him. "I know you'd like it," I then wrapped my arm around his shoulders. "And I would too."

"What if one of them kills me?" He looked at me then. "Or you?"

I looked him in the eyes and immediately spotted the sadness and the fear that was inside them. Would he really have been worried all this time? Would that be why he was so angry for me going over there?

"I don't want to lose someone else, Cas."

"Hey," I got up to stand in front of him. "You're not going to lose anyone else," I caressed his face then. "No one will get to us..."

He smiled a bit. "As long as we're together," He sighed once more. "Ok," He looked at me. "I'll join you. I'm up for an adventure."

I smiled then. "That's the brother I know and love," I then leaned in and kissed his head a couple of times.

"Ah, Cas!" He tried pushing me away. "No, stop!"

I laughed as I pulled back. "I thought you needed some love and affection?"

"I've had enough for a while," He got up then. "I'm going to bed," He walked to the door of my bedroom but stopped. He looked at me. "Hey Cas?"

I looked at him.

He smiled once more. "Thank you."

I smiled too. I simply nodded.

He nodded too before leaving my room.

I then let out a content sigh and went to lay down in bed again. Finally, Piers and I were back on the right track. As much as I knew he hated me for taking his 'life', I just needed him close. He's the only family I have left, we've been growing up together and have been inseparable. I couldn't go on without him by my side.

I looked at my diary. I reached for it and started writing this encounter in it.

When I was done, I put the diary away again before turning off the lights and dreaming about how wonderful my next trip to the Northern Kingdom will be with Piers.