Chapter 11: Frustrations

Third person's POV

Carl let out a deep breath as he settled back on his bed. He closed his eyes and was finally able to relax as his workday was over.

Then, the door to his bedroom opened rather violently. And in came James. He was huffing and puffing multiple times, he was clearly irritated. And Carl noticed.

Carl sat up. "Hey," He said, gaining James's attention. "What's wrong?"

By now, Chandler sat up too. He had woken up by James's rather violent entry. Chandler was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"James?"

James clenched his fists. "That Southern ruler," He looked down, trying to calm down. But he couldn't help but feel angry. He hated the way he had been treated. "She thinks I'm filthy."

Carl and Chandler both raised their eyebrows.

"She's very nice to me," Chandler said quietly. "She helped me."

"She has been very nice to me too," Carl said, agreeing with Chandler. "She hasn't shown any disrespect towards me."

"Well, she doesn't like me then," James went to sit down on a chair. "I couldn't go near her and, whenever I tried, she'd back off. I had to help her with her bag, she flinched away when I touched her. And, when I wanted to help her enter her carriage, she didn't take my hand."

Carl frowned, that indeed didn't seem nice. It didn't match the Cassandra he knew. "That's odd," He said. "She's never like that with me."

"She must not like me," James sighed deeply. "Tomorrow I'll ask Queen Louisa and King Alden for a different job."

"James," Carl walked to his son, he sat down with him by the table. "The job you're having right now is a very important one. They wouldn't give that to just anyone."

"I know," James sighed and looked down. "I just feel so bad about the way she treated me," He sighed once more. "But perhaps I shouldn't complain, after all, she's a queen and I'm just a simple butler. She has every right to act however she wants."

"James..." Carl said, reaching for his son's face but James got up.

"I'm going to bed," He walked to the door of the room. "Goodnight." He then left.

Carl sighed. He didn't like seeing his son upset like that. He felt the need to help him and he would.

He looked at Chandler, who was looking at his dad, and smiled. "Let's get some sleep too," He walked to Chandler and kissed his head. "Goodnight, son." He then walked to his own bed.

"Goodnight, dad."

______________________________

Cassandra's POV

We finally arrived in the Southern Kingdom, my home... My home... This didn't feel like my home, yet it should be.

"Thank you." I said as the driver helped me get out of the carriage. I then saw a servant taking my bag with dirty laundry, bringing it to the maids to clean.

I walked into the castle and, before I could even go to my room, a servant stepped forward. "The Crown has requested your presence in the council room, Your Highness." He bowed then.

I nodded. "Thank you."

I then made a turn and started making my way to the council room. I took a few breaths as I prepared myself mentally for this confrontation. I figured it would either be Piers complaining about nonsense or the Crown complaining about my time in the Northern Kingdom. Both were stupid, both didn't need my presence.

I arrived at the council room and entered. "Gentlemen," I went to sit down in dad's legendary throne, the Throne. Somehow sitting in this seat, made me feel really powerful. It's probably the prestige it has. "What can I do for you?"

Lord Gregory sighed deeply before getting up. He bowed before looking me in the eyes. "Your Highness," He sighed once more, and I could clearly see he wasn't happy. "All of us, at the Crown, request you to be present in your own kingdom at least 75% of the time. Your people see how you travel to the Northern Kingdom and stay there for a while. They wonder too."

"What if they immigrate to the Northern Kingdom?" Lord Ernest asked, interrupting Lord Gregory. "What if they're going to think that Northerners are good?"

I frowned then. "What makes you believe they aren't?"

"Cas," Piers glared at me. "Seriously?"

"Yes," I was getting frustrated and I didn't even know why it got to me this easily. I always protected the Northerners since Louisa, Alden, Carl and Chandler were the people closest to me. But, today, for some reason, it irritated me more. "What makes you all think they aren't?"

"They killed our mother, Cas!"

I looked at Piers. "Just because our news reports said so, doesn't mean that that's what happened."

He raised his eyebrows. "You think they'd lie about something like that?"

I looked away then. I knew that, no matter what I'd say, they wouldn't listen. So why argue? "Why am I here?" I asked, looking at Lord Gregory.

"We want you to be present in your kingdom, no more trips to the Northern Kingdom."

I showed him a fake smile and got up. "That's it?" I then walked to the door. "Because I'm going to bed." I then left.

I walked back to my room and sighed deeply as I had reached it and closed my bedroom door. I put a chair in front of my door, to keep it shut.

I then got out of my clothes and went to lay down in my bed. I sighed once more. I was tired. Or was I just lacking energy? Or perhaps I was just down? Either way, I was ready to end this day.

I took my diary, which also followed me to the Northern Kingdom, and started writing about my day. I wrote about how annoying the Crown can be, and how people here are so judgmental towards the Northerners. And then... James.

What is it about him that made me want to leave the Northern Kingdom? I just didn't want to go back, all because of him. It's as if my body felt that it was better to keep away.

Either way, I'll request another butler. Louisa and Alden will understand. They care about my well-being. They'll get me a different butler.

And, if not... I guess I won't go back anymore...