Chapter 19: Why?

Cassandra's POV

"James, I..." I took a deep breath before looking at him, and all I saw were his loving eyes.

"Yes?"

And I couldn't fight it anymore. I couldn't and wouldn't fight it anymore. I caressed his face before planting my lips onto his.

It seemed like time froze at that moment. Like everything around us just vanished into nothing and that all that mattered was us. Us, here, kissing.

The kiss felt great, it made the butterflies within myself go wild. But when James carefully pulled me closer to him, I finally had the confirmation that he was indeed feeling the same.

I was the one to pull back as I needed oxygen. I didn't let go of his face but I did look down. I suddenly got shy all over again. I was a bit nervous to look in his eyes again but, at the same time, I felt excited too.

James let out a breath. "That was unexpected."

I looked up at him and noticed a very big smile on his face. A smile I hadn't seen yet, he was glowing. He was in love. "I couldn't fight it anymore."

"Fight what?" He said softly as we were still very close to each other.

"My heart's desire," I gulped. "For you."

He let out a content sigh. "I didn't know someone like you could ever feel something for someone like me."

I pulled back a little. "Someone like you?"

He nodded. "A poor Northern butler," He sighed. "You could get so much better, I'm just - "

"You're all I want," I interrupted him. "I don't want a prince, I don't want a king, I don't want anyone else but you," I gulped. "James, I really like you, I'm crazy about you."

He smiled then. "I'm crazy about you too."

"Really?" I got shy all over again. I don't know what was happening to me but I enjoyed the feeling. It made my heart dance and jump, and I loved it.

He nodded.

I smiled then.

He smiled too before wrapping both his arms around me. He seemed a bit unsure about it until I smiled at him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned in closer, kissing him again.

______________________________

Third person's POV

Carl looked at James. "James, that cutlery isn't placed correctly."

James looked at it and then quickly corrected it. "Sorry."

"What's up with you this morning?" Carl quickly placed the last few items on the breakfast table before looking at his son. "Did you have a bad night?"

James looked at his dad. "Not at all," He smiled. Ever since Cassandra had kissed him, he felt on cloud nine. He felt alive and blessed but he didn't tell anyone. "I've had a good dream."

Carl nodded but didn't go into that subject.

Soon Alden and Louisa arrived at the dining table. Louisa immediately spotted the third plate. "Is Cassandra coming too?"

"I don't see why she wouldn't," Carl said before raising his eyebrows. "What happened?"

Louisa sighed before Alden looked at Carl. "She insulted our people," Alden said to which Carl was taken back, as he didn't see Cassandra as the person who'd purposely insult people. "She basically told us Northerners are thieves, bad people, and rapists."

"That's not true," Everyone looked at James, and James realized he was in big problems then. "I mean, I'm sure she didn't mean it like that."

Louisa sighed deeply as she looked down. "I don't know," She looked at the third plate at the table. "I saw her as my best friend, but I guess I was wrong."

"My Lord, Milady," Carl said, gaining their attention. "I don't know what Cassandra's words were exactly, but I do know that she is a very kind and honest person," He said to which James nodded, relieved that his dad was defending Cassandra. It wouldn't attract all the attention like if he would do it. "I think that her telling you two about the current situation showed just that."

Louisa's facial expression softened before she looked at Alden. "Do you think she was just trying to be honest with us?"

Alden sighed before shrugging. "Could be," He looked at James then. "Have you seen her since?"

James gulped, what was he supposed to say? "Uhm yes," He gulped once more. "I saw her last night."

"And?" Louisa asked, she was growing impatient with James's lack of answers. "Did you notice anything?"

He looked down. "She was really upset because of the situation," He looked at Louisa and Alden, trying to keep his facial expression neutral. "She didn't mean to attack either of you, she just wanted to inform you two about what was going on because she values the relationship you all have."

Louisa sighed as she buried her face in her hands. "We're idiots," She breathed out deeply into her hands. "We were so mean to our friend." She then looked at Alden.

Alden sighed but nodded. "We were," He looked at James then. "Can you please get Cassandra?"

James couldn't hide the fact he was very pleased with this task. He'd be able to spend some time alone with Cassandra, and he certainly was longing for it. "Of course, My Lord." He bowed before hurrying out of the living room.

When the door was closed, he started running to Cassandra's room. The closer he got to it, the more excited he became to see her again. To hold her again. To kiss her again.

But, when he finally stood in front of the door, he stopped. And he suddenly doubted everything. Would Cassandra still like me? Wouldn't she change her mind? What if she did? What if she didn't want anything to do with him? He couldn't do anything to stop that.

He would understand though. He has nothing to offer her, nothing at all, yet she has everything. She deserves everything, things James couldn't offer her.

He sighed.

It took him a while before he finally knocked onto the door.

"Yes?"

He opened the door and spotted her combing her hair. "James," She smiled a bit. "Hey."

James noticed the way she was behaving. It was different, just like he feared.

"What's wrong?"

He looked at her. "The king and queen have asked to meet you for breakfast." He then walked back outside and waited there. And he didn't like that. Why didn't he wait inside? Why didn't he take his chance? Why didn't he do anything?

Soon Cassandra exited too and looked at him. "Are you alright?"

"Yes," He said before walking towards the living room. "The king and queen will be pleased to have you over for breakfast, Your Highness."

Cassandra got a hold of James's arm and stopped him. "What's wrong? Why are you calling me that?"

James gulped. "Because you are a Highness." He then continued his walk towards the living room. 

During the walk, Cassandra would try to talk to James. She would try to ask him what was wrong, or she would try to simply stop him. But he didn't stop.

When they arrived at the living room, James entered without even looking at Cassandra, and Cassandra knew that what had happened the day before, was just a one-time thing.