Chapter 23: Our night

James's POV

I sighed as I turned around in bed again. I couldn't seem to fall asleep. I couldn't find peace.

I went to lay on my back. I sighed deeply as I looked up at the ceiling. I didn't see much, as it was the middle of the night.

My thoughts went straight to Cassandra. Would she be sleeping right now? Would she be dreaming of me? Would she miss me? I surely missed her.

I missed her kisses, I missed her hugs, I missed her voice, I missed her. I missed our evening ritual. More than I thought I would. I loved her more than I realized.

I sat up as I realized I'd remain restless. I just... I needed to see her. I couldn't wait anymore.

I got up and walked out of my room. I slowly walked through the hallways, trying to not make any sound.

While I was walking, I suddenly realized I had no idea where I was heading. I knew I wanted to see Cassandra, but I couldn't go to the Southern Kingdom. I stopped then. What am I doing?

I sighed before looking down in defeat and going back towards my room. This was stupid, I'm stupid...

I walked to my room and then stopped. My door was open... I knew I had closed it.

I gulped before slowly walking to my room. The closer I got, the more my heart started beating. Who was in my room? And why? And how did they get in here?

I gulped one last time before entering. Then I stopped and smiled. I ran to her and hugged her tightly.

"Hey James," Cassandra wrapped her arms around me. "I'm sorry for interrupting your night's sleep."

I pulled back a little. "You can interrupt me any time," I then looked at her and noticed she was wearing a coat. Then I noticed her bag on the ground. "Did you just return?"

She nodded. "I was going to return tomorrow but..." She looked down, blushing.

"I missed you too," I said, gaining her attention immediately. "I got out of my room to go to you."

She chuckled. "How would you have gotten to the South?"

I shrugged. "I'd do anything to get to you."

She smiled then. She walked closer to me and caressed one of my cheeks. "I want to spend the night with you."

I gulped then. "R-really?"

She nodded. "When I was in my bed at the castle, I realized just how much I enjoy our time together," She looked at my hands and took them in hers. "I really love you, James," She then looked me in the eyes. "And I want to spend the night with you."

I gulped but nodded. I wanted that too, even though I was nervous about it. I didn't want to mess things up, I didn't want to make things awkward between us...

She smiled. "I'll get ready for bed." She said before taking off her coat. She proceeded to get undressed.

I immediately looked away, on reflex. I then noticed the door of my room still being open, so I walked to it to close it. I then pulled my closet in front of the door.

When I turned back around, I saw Cassandra getting underneath my sheets. "Are you coming?" She asked, I could tell she was nervous too.

"Yeah," I slowly walked to the bed and sat down on it. I smiled at her. "Are you laying comfortably?"

She nodded slowly. "It's different," She wiggled in her spot. "Good different," She smiled reassuringly at me. "Are you coming?" She pulled the sheets back for me to get underneath as well.