12

I watched from afar as Mum zeena swayed through the Hall's of the botique together with Dr Amjad Imam who was wearing a casual black straight skirt and top together with a scarf that covered part of her curly long hair. She must be a Yemeni I thought as they were chatting with Mum who was wearing a flay blue gown with a mini sized veil.
I sat darily on one pile of clothes people made while checking clothes out eyeing my black fine boots that complimented my black outfit.

"Zara... come try this one" Mum called out for me making me giggle. I wasn't interested in this shopping anyways so I groggily walked to towards her with a smirk plastered at the end of my lip. I could go to the prom with what I was wearing right now but mum won't let it happen so I'm giving her the pleasure of finding me the dress she thinks would suit me.

"Ion like this one." I said sheepishly with a pout.

"She's such a kid" Dr Amjad said grinning.

"Yes she is." Mum replied almost in a whisper.

She ended up with a peach coloured dress adourned with a large pattern of flower by the shoulder. The dress was basically sweeping the floor and it also had a split by the left side up to the upper knee. I was so speechless I couldn't argue. They really wanted me to wear this? It's not as if I'm going to see Donald Trump!

"Maybe my taste of fashion matches hers. How bout you try it out? Zara..." Dr Amjad said as the both women laugh along. This woman sure has a wild taste.

What is it with Mum zeena and doctors?! I rolled my eyes at the thought as I made my way to change in the dress. I didn't realize I barged into someone till I bumped into a stiff but breathing figure. I sucked on my breath meeting a shirtless angry Amir. The atmosphere was awkward so I traced my steps backwards maintaining involuntary eye contact with him. The blank emotions held in his eyes made me uneasy. This was not the Amir I knew few months ago.

With an angry step he shooved me on left side of the small room bringing his face closer to mine mine maintaining a tight grip on my wrist he straighten them above my head. I didn't dare to move instead I stayed fix inhaling his minty breath while his pupils moved to and fro as if he wanted answers from my orbs making mine mimic the action.

It came to my realization that Amir's eyes had the power to control me & I hated the feeling So I tilt my head to the side squeezing my eyes shut in a second. I'm not taking this.

Feeling his warm breath against my neck his husky voice interrupted me while I tryed to expel the air I caught in my lungs.

"Why exactly do you have to be everywhere I go to?" His grip on my wrist tighten making the gown in my hand fall.

Why was he angry? I thought we were on good terms...Alot could change within months I guess.

I summoned the courage to open my eyes finding my signature attitude out of the blue so I smirked at him letting a pout afterwards. I watched his gaze on me soften.
it was his own turn for his breath to get caught in his lungs. I felt his grip on my wrist loosen so I took the opportunity to hit him on his sex and ran away picking my gown on the floor.

Like a little girl running around in a garden I giggled all the way to mum zeena for a reason I couldn't put a finger on. Was it the way his eyes rolled at the back of his head while he grabbed his self tight with both hands as he stumbled back?..
He should have known better than to mess with Zara Yousif Shiwa. I put on my signature smirk as Mum continue to look in my eyes to find answers to why I was excited.

"Maybe she like the gown that much." Dr Amjad giggled along.

*******
"Happy birthday sweetheart" Mum exaclaimed squeezing the life out of me... I mean I just woke up from sleep please.
So its Friday 30th July, which was my birthday and also the school's  prom.
I sat up in my bed loosing her arm away from me not in rude manner.
"My baby girl is 18 years old today!" She said again dramatically making some dance moves. Mum Zeena is too much sometimes.
I did little or no house chores, she made us cupcakes, she suprised me with an Iphone 7+ & told me to ask her for anything.

"Mum... Get married." I blurted out without thinking it through.
Growing up I loosed count of the number of men that associated with Mum zeena and out of the blur they disappear just like. Rumors about her character contributed to my aggression...it was like I couldn't bear the truth.

We were walking to a salon to get my hair done,she turned and faced me with a hint of sadness & disappointment flashing across her eyes but they disappeared immediately.

'I'll baby girl." She masked her face with a charming smile as if what I said was no big deal but I knew better I hit her on the nerve and couldn't be happy about that. 14 years of staying with Mum zeena has thought me about shrugging situation off. So I did the same.

*********
"Mum please enough of all of these, Can I please see my face?" I literally screamed as she continue to paint my face with a ship of cosmetic.

"No baby, no yet."

Humaira and jafar were already here to pick me up.Humaira was in black gown whose contrast clash with her complextion to give a very charming view while Jafar wore a dark blue suit with a red bow.

"Alright.. done!" Mum blurted out excited than I've ever seen her before. She finally unveil the mirror and I got confused for a second.

Is this me? Zara Yousif?..

White long earrings, My fluffy full hair packed up and geled to perfection, my face contoured and highlighted in perfection, my lips painted in a nude colour giving my face more charm and innocence. Here I sat like some Greek goddess leg crossed as the split on the gown  reveal my nice toned leg covered in my black knee high socks....

"C'mon Zara let's go." Humaira said almost  dragging me along.

"Wait my phone. I'll meet you guys outside."

I picked my phone which was toosed at the edge of the bed.
"Mum" I called out.

"Thank you & I'm sorry " I said almost in a whisper while I crashed in her arms.

"No, no you won't ruin your make up" she pulled me up with a pout.

"Anything for my baby girl & it's ok Im not angry, it just that you care for me" she replied smiling while she pulled my cheeks.

What would My life be without this woman?!

*****

Dialogue is a solution to each conflict/ misunderstanding.
         Embrace it💙