Almost

Almost. What a sad word. What a meaningless definition of everything that could have been. What a shallow life made up of almosts feels like. What a shattering collision when always collides with maybe, with perhaps, with anything that gives away the same meaning as almost.
What a million chances lost, a couple of a hundred relationships ending before they had the chance to begin. What a single miserable word did to impact our lives forever.

Funny how temporary has the upper hand over permanent. Funny how it's too complex to understand the way a could-have-been chance shifts our destinations and our choices.

And it hurts hardest when a love story becomes a maybe, an almost, an anything but always, sabotaging all the plans that were made in the corner of that dim park, near the swings that broke from our weight, erasing the house and the kids and all the places that were meant to have a couple on the list of the tourists for that year. Dead. Gone. Lost. Destroyed. Damaged. A love story gone wrong, a destiny of heartbreak because that's the only possible result when almost and always collide. Nothing but devastating heartbreak.
A queue of teary eyed people walking down the road where they thought they met "the one". Where the thought promises were stronger than crashes. Where the thought love can conquer all.