Deadly Double Love 3

Finally, when it was a little after 7, I went downstairs for dinner. I hoped the kitchen would be empty so I could grab something quickly and escape back to my room. However, as I peeked into the kitchen, I saw my dad. I contemplated running back to my room before he saw me, but I was too hungry to go any longer without food. So I stepped into the kitchen and made a beeline for the fridge, hoping I could grab something and then flee back to my room. However, my dad turned towards me when he heard me open the door of the fridge.

“Kitty,” he said.

“What?” I snapped.

“We are all having dinner together.”

“All of us?” I asked, really asking if Addie would be joining us.

“All of us,” he said, understanding what I meant.

“Thanks, but I think I’ll pass.”

“That’s not an option.”

“Then what are my options?”

“You can eat with us, or you can not eat at all.”

“I don’t want to eat with her,” I grumbled.

“Kaetlyn, you’d better watch your mouth. She’s part of our family and you will treat her with respect.”

I didn’t want to fight, so I reluctantly headed into the dining room. To my horror, the two empty seats were both next to Addie. I sat down slowly, careful not to accidently touch her foot with mine. I snuck a glance at her and saw that her eyes weren’t nearly as red anymore. Was she no longer upset about the whole double family thing? That seemed unlikely, I didn’t think any of us were completely at ease with it yet. And she had it even worse than the rest of us; her mom had just died. I couldn’t imagine if I had been her and she had been me how I would have felt. Not only did she just discover her dad was leading a double life, but she also learned, at practically the same time, that her mom was dead. I couldn’t even fathom the pain she must have been feeling. When I thought about it that way, I realized she probably didn’t want to be sitting at this table any more than I did, so I relaxed a little. Still, I leaned a little bit away from her.

The entire dinner was spent in silence, except for the sound of our silverware clinking against the dishes. I could tell that we all felt uncomfortable sitting together. I didn’t want to spend any more time there than necessary, so I ate as fast as I could without making it seem like I was shoveling my food into my mouth. As soon as I was done, I got up and went to my room without asking to be excused or putting my dishes away. I felt ten times better being away from Addie, even though she wasn’t really doing anything to me.

I was surprised when my dad didn’t come up and yell at me some more for leaving the dinner table, but maybe my mom and Addie had abandoned him as well.

I read my book for a while, but eventually got really tired, so I closed it and turned out the lights. After tossing and turning for what seemed like hours, I felt around on my nightstand for my iPod. After finally locating it, I jammed the ear buds into my ears and turned the music up really loud. Finally the blasting music lulled me to sleep.

When I woke up, I still felt completely exhausted even though it was almost noon. I decided not to get up at all and instead just pulled out my book and read. But by the time it got to be 2:30, I was famished. I crept downstairs, and to my relief, the kitchen was empty. I quickly grabbed some turkey and two pieces of bread from the fridge and ran upstairs. Once I locked the door I constructed my rather large turkey sandwich, which turned out to taste amazing.

Until about 7 o’clock, I did just about nothing. I read some more, listened to the radio, and just stared at the ceiling. But just as my stomach started rumbling, there was a knock on my door.