Deadly Double Love 31

Finally, after about fifteen agonizing minutes of walking, we came across an old, decrepit building. Rory told us to go inside and we did, scared half to death. Still holding the gun, he ordered us to sit down. He then turned to Addie with a smile on his face.

“Will you hand me that bag?” he said.

He gestured to a sack sitting in a corner and Addie scurried over to it. It made a rattling sound as she carried it back to Rory. He reached inside and pulled out a handful of chains. I realized that he planned to chain us up and leave us here. But if he wanted to do that, he’d have to put the gun down. Then maybe we could have a chance at getting away.

“Can you hold this for a minute, babe?” he asked Addie as he held out the gun.

My heart sank as I realized we’d have no chance at running now.

“I can’t just point a gun at my family,” she told him.

“I’m doing this for you,” he stated. “All of this if for you, for us. Hold the gun.”

“I can’t,” she said softly.

“You can and you will!” he replied, his voice growing louder with each word.

“No!” she said strongly.

All of a sudden, Rory’s hand lashed out. It was so quick that I didn’t see what happened; I only saw Addie fall to the ground. She pushed herself off of the ground into a sitting position and pressed her hands to her cheek. She looked up at Rory with scared eyes.

“Oh my gosh,” he whispered. “I’m sorry, babe, I didn’t mean to!”

He reached out towards her to help her up.

She used her feet to push herself away from him.

“Don’t,” she said. “Don’t touch me.”

“I’m sorry!” he told her. “I really didn’t mean to do that!”

She didn’t reply.

“It won’t happen again,” he promised.

“That’s what you said last time,” she said with tears in her eyes.

“Please forgive me,” he begged. “I love you.”

She was still for a minute, just thinking. I couldn’t believe that she was actually considering forgiving him; especially since it wasn’t the first time he had hit her. After a while, she stood up.

“Fine,” she said as she wiped her tears away.

“Thank you,” he told her. “It won’t happen ever again, I swear.”

He pulled her into a hug and kissed the top of her head.

“I love you so much,” he mumbled into her ear.

“I- I love you too,” she whispered, but she didn’t sound like she was sure of what she was saying. She just sounded scared.

Now I understood why she hadn’t stopped him from doing this to us. She was too terrified that he’d hit her. But I couldn’t help but wonder: if he tried to kill us, would she try to stop him then?