Chapter 13. Party of Nine

Juliana is pushing open a pair of large double doors into a ballroom full of people, followed by the eight animals, elegantly dressed for the occasion. 

As they enter, the King stands to address them. "My kingdom take heed now!"

Everyone becomes silent and turns their attention to the King. All but one man, in the corner. His eyes dart wildly between the nine people entering until they fix themselves on Odamous. 

"My youngest daughter, Juliana, and her eight companions are responsible for our health and wellbeing, having rescued us from certain doom. Show them kindness, show them hospitality, and know that they shall always have a place in my court." The King announces, then holds a cup of wine up. "Blessed be, from the powers that be, these eight brave souls, may they live long!"

As everyone else drinks to the toast, Odamous and the others, already knelt on one knee bow their heads humbly hearing these words. Finally, an acknowledgment of their efforts, and from a King no less. The emotions washing over them could only be described as pour bliss, an emotion that they had felt only once, having met Juliana for the first time. 

"Rise and know yourselves as equals in my court!" Ordered the King.

They rise slowly with smiles beaming. However, Odamous' smile quickly fades as he spots the man in the corner. He could only be described as skinny and well dressed. His eyes remain fixed upon Odamous as he approaches the corner. 

Odamous towers over the man with his arms crossed. "What are you doing here, Rat?"

The man smiles. "Ah! If it isn't Master Odamous himself. What a pleasure to see you still in good health, however long that will last."

Odamous glares at the man angerly. "If you intend to care trouble, I will...."

"Perish the thought!" The man interrupts. "This place is like unto sacred ground.. neutral territory, yes?"

Odamous thinks for a moment. "Have you come to merely talk?"

The man bows elegantly. "I come with a message from the Queen, herself. To be delivered to the one before me."

Odamous remains firm in his stance. "Deliver it and leave then. The quicker the better."

The man rises again and looks Odamous in the eye. "The message is as such." The man's voice changes, mocking that of the Queen. "How long do you think you can protect her, lover? How long do you have left before your next cycle?"

Odamous face grows stern. "Is that all?!"

The man nods with a cheeky smile.

"Then leave!" Odamous turns quickly and walks away.

"Oh, but the night's fun has not begun yet." The man whispers as he sinks into the wall, his eyes sharply fixed on Odamous.

Odamous returns to the others, who are engaged with the other guests. 

"Oh! You are just too cute!" One woman says as she delights at the sight of Rabbit, trying so hard to stand on two legs.

"Young man, you have quite the eye for fine food." Says a man, as Monkey grabs food from a buffet table.

"You simply must put me in touch with your seamstress!" A woman says, conversing with Aqua and Serpent. 

Juliana walks up to Odamous. "Is all well?"

Odamous nods. "Just a rodent in the building, but nothing to be concerned about."

Wolf sniffs the air. "Ah! I thought I smelled a Rat. Shall I see to his quick departure?"