Chapter 21. Divide and Conquer, Part 2

Heading north, Monkey swings from tree to tree and then begins jumping over rocky terrain. Monkey begins looks left and right, as if searching for something. Before Monkey can peek a hill he is tackled to the ground, pinned on his back. Monkey quickly kicks the assailant off and jumps to his feet.

"What the hell is your problem?!" Monkey shouts. "You almost scared me out of my skin!!"

In front of Monkey crouches a tan woman, licking her hand and rubbing it against her face. She is dressed in tight pants and a kimono top. Her short brown hair blows in the wind as she looks up at Monkey with one eye open. "Meow ya doing, Mankey?"

"It is Monkey..." Monkey responds, annoyed. "I was sent..."

"To fetch me? What a good boy you are!" She stands slowly and walks towards Monkey. "Or.. were you sent to detain me?"

"No, just fetch." Monkey says, carefully watching her movements. 

She stops, looking at Monkey with a bloodthirsty stare, her yellow eyes sharpened. "You weren't just trying to anticipate my next move, were you?"

"Can you blame me for being warry? You are an assassin." Monkey stares back coldly.

She leans in and gives Monkey a peek on the cheek. She pulls back and winks at him. "You were always cute when you were nervous."

Monkey blushes. "Stop teasing me, Luna!"

She laughs. "Oh, so you do remember my blessed name. I thought you might have forgotten. By the way, how is my precious Rabbit doing?"

Monkey frowns. "She still has not spoken a word, walking around on all fours as usual."

Luna looks sad. "Does she have no motivation to better herself?"

Monkey thinks for a moment. "If you promise not to harm her, I will tell you."

Luna nods. "I promise."

"We met a human princess and Rabbit has taken a liking to her."  Monkey says, quickly.

"A HUMAN?!" Luna exclaims. 

Monkey glares. "Don't even think about it! Odamous has made a pact with her, ensured our future bond with humanity, and even found us a kingdom to call home."

Luna looks away for a moment, thoughtfully, then looks back at Monkey. "You wouldn't lie to me just to get my hopes up, would you, Monkey?" 

Monkey shakes his head. "I have seen it with my very own eyes."

Luna smiles for a split second but then tackles Monkey to the ground just as a spear-shaped rock flies overhead. Luna then grabs him and rolled to the right to dodge a few more spears that land where they laid. As they roll, Monkey ends up on top.

"Friends of yours?" Monkey asks.

Luna rolls on top, as another spear hits the ground. "I was about to ask you if you knew them!"

They quickly take cover behind a large rock and wait for the next spear to pass.

Elsewhere, Wolf heads south, towards a modest beach house, on the southern shore. As he nears the house, he cautiously sniffs the air before transforming back into his human form. 

"Anyone home?!" Wolf shouts.

There is no answer, as Wolf approaches the door and slowly opens it. Just as the door swings open, a woman lunges at Wolf, with a dagger in her hand. Wolf grabs her arm and twists it behind her back. 

"Whoa there, lady, ain't no one here to hurt you. Release the dagger." Wolf says, calmly.

The woman drops the dagger and Wolf releases her.