Chapter 16. Our Lives in Your Hands.

Odamous and the others return to the castle to find everyone is wide awake and continuing the ball.

"I told you it was only sleeping gas..." Rat sneers.

Wolf kicks his legs, bringing Rat to his knees.

Crane follows suit without hesitation.

Odamous shoots Rat an angry glance before checking on Juliana. "Mas... My lady, are you well?"

Juliana turns to him with a smile. "I have never been better! That little nap really helped. However, I am told it was some form of attack by the Queen, is that right?"

Odamous nods. "We have dealt with the attackers, my lady, and have captured two of the three."

"What of the third?" Juliana asks, curiously.

Wolf quickly steps forward and kneels down. "I regret to report...."

"Wolf, rise. I would not have any of you kneel before me. We are equals." Juliana interrupts, causing Wolf to jump in surprise.

"Yes, my lady!" Wolf stands quickly.

Serpent also steps forward, patting Wolf on the back. "Stop being nervous and just tell her what happened. Here, I will go first." Serpent turns to Juliana. "Juliana, I had to wound one of the attackers in order to bring him in without a fight." She turns back to Wolf. "See, try it."

Juliana looks curiously at Wolf. 

"I.. had to use.. my blessing to immobilize my opponent, resulting in his death." Wolf says, hesitantly. Wolf closes his eyes, fully expecting to be yelled at, however, he feels warmth sweep over him as Juliana wraps him in a hug.

"I am so glad all of you came back to me unharmed. I could not bear to lose a single dear friend to this.. Queen." Juliana says, releasing a blushing Wolf. "You did nothing wrong, Wolf. Do not hang your head."

"Yes, my lady." Wolf answers.

Juliana turns to Serpent and Lion. "Will you take our guests to separate holding cells, in the basement? I am sure my father would not be willing to deal with this, at this time."

Serpent and Lion bow, quickly removing Crane and Rat from the room.

Juliana looks at Odamous. "I am certain you have more to tell me, but for now, can it wait?"

Odamous nods. "It can wait, my lady, for the night, at least."

Juliana looks worried as a frown consumes Odamous' face. "Have you been upset by this, Odamous?"

Odamous turns his head away with a nod. "I am not pleased."

Juliana gently turns Odamous's face back to her's. "Rest now, Odamous. You have earned that and more." She turns to Wolf. "You all have. You defended this Kingdom and returned to me alive. I could not ask for more. Now go. Rest for the night."

Odamous looks worried. "My lady, we must stay, lest there be a further attempt on your life."

Juliana smiles. "Are Aqua, Monkey, Hawk, and Rabbit not adequate protectors?"

Odamous looks over Juliana's shoulder at Aqua, who gives him a confident nod. "Yes, my lady, they will be adequate."

Juliana smiles. "Then go rest. That is an order to all four of you."

Wolf nods and leaves to tell the others. 

Odamous begins to turn but stops. "If you need me, my lady, you but need to call my name and I will be there."

"I know, Odamous. But even my most loyal of comrades require sleep, same as me." Juliana playfully nudges him. "No more delaying it, go."

Margaret approaches her as Odamous leaves. "Was there a bird here just a moment ago?"