Chapter eleven...Choices, Choices

SPINEL'S POV

I looked up at the pink sky, wondering why she wasn't here. "Is this how I'm s'posed to do it?" I yelled at the stars above me. "Why aren't you back yet, my dear diamond? When will you come back?" I know the answer all too well now. I thought. It'd been about a month since me and Steven had declared planet Earth as home, so everyone knows about it. After all, Beach city is pretty small. I sighed, but it was a happy sigh. I was glad that we hadn't seen Topaz or Azzy, glad that we didn't need to fight, glad that things had settled down. That's funny. Nothing wrong? Well let's fix that. "Spinel?" Steven said gravely.

"Yeah?" I reply, nervous.

"I-I need to talk to you." A stutter, not good.

"About...?" I insist.

"About... you..." The way he finished the sentence sent a shock up my body.

"What about... M-me?" I say softly.

"They don't trust you..." He whispers.

"No!? WHY!? Wh-what'd I do? Th-they've trusted me up until now!" I protested.

"No... That's wrong... They never truly trusted you... The topic came up a little while ago..." He explained. I stayed silent, angry and frustrated.

"Then I'm leaving." I decided.

"What!? No! We can-" He breaks off, "Wait, where are you gonna go?"

"I'll go to Obby's house." I said.

"She has a mom, y'know that, Right?"

"Yeah. So?" I said. He just sighed.

"Spinel... I-I..."

"I have a free will, Steven, I can take care of myself." I say, "And you can visit me!" My offer isn't enough. He still looks sad.

I pack up my stuff that night. I bring my Rejuvenator, my shell necklace... Important stuff like that. I hear a knock on the door as I finish my packing, so I close my case and run up to the door. Obby smiled from the doorway. Her three brothers also came. Her younger brother Mike peeked out from behind her, her older brother Connor nods from a little farther away, and her oldest brother Milo grins at me from beside the door. "Hi guys!" I say cheerfully.

"Hello!" They say together.

"Hi!" I reply cheerfully, but my voice deceives the dark, depressing loneliness that is bubbling up inside me.