25. THE dark truth

Adrian's POV

Catherine pulled me into the room and ensured that the door was shut behind her safely.

"Oooooo", I said laughing teasingly.

"Shut up, Adrian", she rolled her eyes. "Listen! I have something very important to talk to you about".

"Shoot", I told her, nodding slightly.

"Why? Why did you choose this place? I know it's related to Rose? You know...don't you? You know what's wrong with her...don't you?", she asked me hurriedly, breathless.

"Damn! Calm down girl", I told her, letting out a small laugh. "One question at a time okay?", I said, seating myself on the small bed.

When I didn't answer any of her questions. She started glaring at me, directly into my eyes, the intensity was too much to handle. Maybe it was the Eldar blood that she yielded, that made her more strong...yes! She was strong, and I knew it. I had decided on not telling anyone about this. But could I keep this secret away from Rose's best friend too? "No?" I thought. I wouldn't be doing justice to her. She needed to know... to know the truth.

"Rose is in danger", I started slowly.

"Danger? From what?", she asked, wide-eyed. Her dark hair slipped from her hair holder and was now shielding her bold, bright eyes. There was a different kind of gleam in them now.

"Danger from Serena", I said thoughtfully. "Danger...danger from herself", I couldn't ignore the ache that formed in my chest when I completed that last-sentence.

She didn't reply back. She was just too stunned at what I just said. " what?" She chocked between her words "What are you saying?", she asked me glumly.

"It's the flame", I told her. "It has always been about it", She now, didn't dare remove her eyes off me, she was taking in each and every word uttered by me. "Serena is behind her powers. She entered the school, disguised as one of the guards from my palace", She clapped a hand on her mouth now.

"Is that?", she started slowly, after recovering from her initial shock " Is that why, you brought her here?", she managed.

"There are many reasons, Catherine why I decided on getting her here", I told her, letting a huge breath of a sigh. "It's the second danger, that I'm more worried about", I revealed. It was a huge burden I was carrying all along. I couldn't warn Rose about this...I just couldn't. But maybe, it was a good thing that her best friend knows about it now.

"What is it?", she asked me desperately, moving forward and taking my hands into hers " Tell me please", she pleaded.

"If her soul, doesn't make peace with the flame she carried, then it will...", I paused. I could feel the bile rise up my throat. The thought of what would happen still terrifies me.

"What will happen?", Catherine asked me, squeezing my hands harder.

"We will lose the Rose we know forever", I managed, my voice shaky. " The Flame will burn her soul", I told her, looking down not being able to meet her eyes. I should be strong. I couldn't break, I knew that. Rose needs me, I couldn't break now.

"She cannot know this, Catherine", I told her urgently. "We will have to make her accept her powers, accept her new life...or else we will lose her...lose her forever", I told her meeting her eyes. For some reason, I felt better now. I knew that Catherine could do this, sometimes I felt that she was stronger than me, from what she has been through. With a smile that I forced across my face. I gestured her out of the room kindly, as I was worried that the more time we spent there alone, more questions would be raised.