37. Tinge of Gold

Adrian's POV

I knew something was wrong with her instantly. The lights around her were just not correct. The first thing the royal family teaches their children when they attain magical powers is how to read people's aura. The lights around a person tell you many things about that person. It gives you an idea of their personality. Aura reading becomes an essential part of running one's kingdom smoothly. The moment I saw Rose today, I realized that something was wrong. She was entirely wrapped around the darkness. And when she said that she didn't love me anymore, a tiny bit of golden speck around the darkness peeked up, which disappeared soon. Right then, I knew that she didn't mean what she said, and so I left her alone without a single word said.

This last week hasn't been easy for me, and it hasn't been easy for her either. Were the side effects of the Flame edging in again? But Headmistress Olivia said that once she accepts her powers, the darkness would fade away. What was this then? I should have never left her alone. I should have been there, for here, but I couldn't neglect my duties as a Prince too. The information I had, was too crucial in deciding Rose's future now, but I didn't know how to handle it yet.

The hallways were crowded with students lazily walking to their classes. I was so lost into my thoughts that I almost banged into someone.

"I'm so sorry", I said automatically, gathering down the books the woman dropped out.

" Adrian?", she called me. It was Catherine, who gave me a friendly hug as soon as I clambered up.

"How do you feel now?", she asked me, with great concern on her face.

"Better than ever", I said with a small smile, a smile that surely didn't reach my eyes, which was noticed by her too.

"Is something wrong?", she observed.

My first instinct was to not burden her with my worries, but then I realized if it is about Rose, she deserved to know it better than me. But not here.

" Can we talk somewhere else?", I asked her, eyeing up the students who were starting to give me curious looks.

We started searching for some unused class for some privacy, that's when Shail (one of my personal guards) found me.

"My Prince", he addressed me with a slight bow. " Is there something I can help you with?", he asked me, exchanging strange looks between me and Catherine.

"No...", I started saying, but Catherine interrupted me " Can you help us, find an empty classroom?", Catherine voiced. No!, I screamed mentally. How stupid is this girl?

Shail looked taken back by the request given to him. "Take it as an order", she added after a few moments. I kept staring at her wide-eyed. He bowed back again and left us alone in the hallway, to do his duty. As a guard, he couldn't decline a direct order given even by the Guardian Princess.

He returned back not so late. " Princess the 78°3 is available", he said.

And so we set into the podium and reached the destined classroom. "Do not disturb us", she told him before locking the door behind her.

" Is this about Rose?", she asked me hurriedly.

"Yes, she broke up with me", I told her, not wasting time in thinking about how to start.

There was a long silence that followed up from her side. I expectantly kept looking at her, in the hopes of getting a reaction in return. Puzzled I raised my brows questioningly.

"I...I thought she might do something stupid like this", she told me, slowly.

"Do you know anything?", I enquired curiously. I knew that Rose didn't really mean anything what she said, but I wanted to know Catherine's insight into the situation too.