18. The king of Dominos

"Guardian Princess...Your majesty is waiting for your presence", Greg informed me, breathless.

"Can I meet him later please?", I asked him, kindly.

"Guardian Princess...", he hesitated "It's the king...", he said weirdly.

"I know that Greg", I raised my voice. My blood was starting to boil now. How dare he decides, what I should do and what I shouldn't?

I was about to snap at him when I saw another guard approaching us by the side of my eye. I took a deep breath and told myself to calm down a bit.

The guard reached us and addressed me directly. It was that man, that old man, I met at the palace. His presence brought an unnatural twist in my stomach. His warning started playing in the back of my brain automatically.

"Your majesty has...", He started.

"Yes, Yes I'm coming", I interrupted him mid-sentence.

                                 -------

I followed the guards thoughtlessly. I thought that they would lead me towards the Headmistress's office. But no! They lead me through a series of spiral staircase behind the dining hall, which I had never noticed before for some reason. The staircase was so narrow that It was a wonder even one person could fit in through it. 'Was is this place they are taking me through?' I thought to myself.

The stairs ended up revealing a very long dark hallway upstairs, which even the presence of the brightest chandeliers couldn't lighten up. There was a different gloomy feeling to it.

Suspicious, I turned around towards the guards, who still maintained a straight face.

"Where are you taking me?", I asked them, forcefully.

"To meet the king, Guardian Princess", Greg replied back.

"Here? Your king wants to meet me, in such a shady place? What's going on?" , I asked him, taking a step forward towards him. "Tell me the truth", I said, burning with anger.

"He is telling the truth", the old man told me calmly as a matter of fact.

"It won't be good if he isn't", I fired back. Still staring at Greg.

"Show me the way", I ordered them...Yes! Readers you read it right. I ordered him. Again it was so unlike me...it felt like...Well! Let's keep that discussion for another time.

I followed them deeper into the dark hallway. Until we reached a place, where there were no more chandeliers to light the hallway. I threw another dark look at Greg.

"We...rea...ched", he replied back shaking. In that instant, a heard a sudden click for behind. Adrenaline now at its peak, I turned around to see the hallway we just walked through slowly disappear in front of my eyes. I was dissolved into complete darkness for a moment....and then there I was standing in front of the King of Dominos himself.

                              ------

He was seated at a normal wooden chair, looking very calm. Puzzled, I turned back to find both Greg and the old man missing. What kind of magic was this?

I now shifted my gaze towards the room I was standing in, slowly taking in the details. The room was in a perfect circular shape. With dark muddy floor, it reminded me too much of the cave, Kat was restrained in.

I tried hard to ignore the dark thoughts that were building up within me. The memory still sent chills through my spine. The way, I found Kat there, lifeless. The way I was almost killed and ...and the truth, I learned. The truth, I kept trying to run away from....no! No...I should focus on the problem in my hand right now.

I tried hard to focus. I took a deep breath and tried to ward away all those muddled thoughts away. It wasn't easy, but I still managed it finally.

"Guardian Princess of Dominos...Ms. Rose Eldar", the king pronounced briskly. His voice rang back, still radiating power.

"Yes...My majesty you wanted to talk to me?", I asked him plainly.

"Yes, guardian. First, tell me one thing, what do you think about my selection ...your guard Mr. Greg?", he asked me softly...Softly? I've heard he doesn't know to talk softly. 'Something is wrong' I thought. He clearly needed something from me.

"I do not consider myself to be in place of judging your decision...your majesty", I added. I decided on playing his game, his own way, to know what he was up to.

This brought a smile on his face naturally, and I faked a smile too back in return.

"Correct answer, my child", he said now snapping his fingers and producing another wooden chair like his own beside him.

"Sit beside me Rose", he said, gesturing me to sit in the chair beside him. All my senses now were on high alert now. I was sure that he was up to something.

I stood there motionless and weighed in my options, silently. I have fucking no idea, how the hell to get out of this place. So escaping was out of option. So I will have to listen to what he was going to tell me? Oh god! I'm really not excited to get stuck inside a circular dark room, with a rude king...and yes! My boyfriend's father.

I slowly started moving ahead and took my seat beside him. All the while, I didn't dare remove my gaze off him.

"You know what I like about you Rose?", he started slowly. "Your courage", he said. The hell mahn! He doesn't even know me well...Bullshit...Bullshit...my brain was screaming.

"I've heard about everything that happened back in the cave. The actions you took to save your little friend Catherine...Ah! The Guardian Princess of Xenopia", he said, starting to play with one of his many rings. "Yes! The flame of life, indeed needs lots of courage to be carried on", he said now meeting my eyes. I would swear, I could see wheels spinning behind his dark eyes.

"May, I know, why was I called here?", I asked him, getting restless.

"You are not happy with your powers, are you?", he asked me all of sudden.

"What are you hinting at?", I asked him, swiftly getting up on my feet, in one swift motion. I didn't feel his intentions to get me here to be right for some reason.

"You can give me your powers. You can give me the 'Flame of life' and then you can live your dream life. You can go back to earth and live amongst those red-bloods, how you like", he said with a wide smile.

"What???", I asked him. I was too stunned to say anything else. On my way here, I thought of hundreds of reasons that the king might have to meet me. From getting me involved in his stupid politics to telling me to stay away from Adrian. But none! Not one of them was what the king himself had on mind. He wanted the flame? Why but? He had an entire kingdom for himself. He had all the power and the wealth, any man wished for. Why does he want this stupid power?

"No", I told him, gathering all my courage.

"No? What do you mean No?", he asked me, raising his voice and taking a step ahead, closer to me.

"Don't tell me, Your majesty...that you don't know the meaning of 'No'?", I told him, suddenly getting into a fit of laughter. Why was I being so weird? I knew that a normal person wouldn't laugh at that situation, would they???

**************************************

What do you think will happen next???😋. Do let me know in the comments:))))))

Do not forget to VOTE guys😄