Chapter Nineteen

"By the powers of StarClan, I grant you your warrior names," Spiderstar announced. "From this moment on, you will be known as Littlewing, Honeyheart, Songscratch, and Dawnflame."

As Spiderstar rested his muzzle on the new warrior's heads, the Clan began to chant their names in harmony and unison.

"Littlewing! Honeyheart! Songscratch! Dawnflame!"

Nightshrike found herself hesitating to join in the cheering. Even though they were for her siblings, she didn't feel the need to cheer. Especially for Songscratch.

Nightshrike looked over at the medicine cat den, where Reedpaw watched without cheering. She saw sadness and envy in his eyes and Nightshrike frowned. I thought he wanted to become a medicine cat apprentice. She thought.

Beside the apprentice sat Timberskip and Dusthawk. They weren't cheering either, just sitting and watching. Eventually, the cheering died down and Spiderstar began to speak.

"One more ceremony before I dismiss this meeting," he meowed and flicked his tail at Ivyheart's kits, who were lined up in a row. "Come forward you four."

Goldenkit leaped to his paws and pranced forward, followed by his sisters. Nightshrike almost felt bad for the tom, being crowded by three sisters and being the only tom. However, he didn't look effected and Nightshrike shrugged.

"Goldenkit, from this moment on until you have earned your warrior name, you will be known as Goldenpaw." The Clan seemed to hold their breath as Spiderstar picked Goldenpaw's mentor. "Nightshrike," What? "You are a fantastic fighter and good hunter and I trust that you will pass on those traits onto Goldenpaw."

I've never hunted in my life! She wanted to screech but instead, she silently rose to her paws and padded towards her new apprentice. I've been a warrior for a moon and I already have my first apprentice?

Goldenpaw beamed at her, making Nightshrike's nerves ease slightly. He looks ready to learn, that's good. She thought as she and Goldenpaw touched noses.

Nightshrike's paws tingled with excitement as she and her new apprentice sat down next to each other. "Ready to start training?" She whispered to the golden tom.

"I hope you like to fight and not hunt," Goldenpaw meowed boldly, surprising Nightshrike.

"We have more in common than I thought, Goldenpaw." Nightshrike purred and looked from her apprentice to the ceremony.

"Vixenpool, I know you will pass on those traits onto Amberpaw." Spiderstar was meowing. As Vixenpool touched noses with Amberpaw and sat down, Nightshrike saw resentment in the former queen's eyes.

She doesn't like Amberpaw, possibly because her sister reminds her of Applestar. Nightshrike guessed. Shame, Applestar was an okay leader.

"Applekit, from this moment forward until you have earned your warrior name, you will be known as Applepaw." Nightshrike heard hesitance in his tone and she looked at Goldenpaw. "Primrosefur, you are a skilled and kind warrior and I know that you will pass on those traits onto Applepaw."

The she-cat rose to her paws, eyes glinting. She looked proud to have Applepaw to be her apprentice and Nightshrike looked over at the apprentice, who looked terrified. As they settled down, Spiderstar went on.

"Snowkit, from this moment on until you have earned your warrior name, you will be known as Snowpaw." Spiderstar looked around. "Scorchtail, you will mentor Snowpaw. You are a fierce and noble warrior and I know you will train this apprentice to be just that."