Chapter 17: Friends

(a/n : A special treat! UwU)
Nathanael's P.O.V

I came to school early as usual. I went to my locker and organized all of my things inside. When I was finished, I went to class. I saw Cherice's seat empty, which was quite surprising because she always arrive at school early. Well, except for that one when she arrived at school quite late. I waited for her arrival until the class started, but she never came. I was worried, there has to be a reason she didn't come. Another person also didn't go to school and it was Lila. But Ms. Bustier knew the reason why Lila didn't come which was because of some family business. But she didn't know the reason Cherice was absent. I was so worried, I didn't realize I was biting the inside of my cheek. Hard. When I probed the flesh with my tongue, I taste blood.

As soon as the school ended, I rushed out of the class and the building towards Cherice's apartment. I realized my steps was getting faster and faster and finally I broke into a run, hugging my bag tightly to my chest. The only thing in my mind is to see Cherice, and hoping she's okay. As soon as I reached her door, I knocked as if there's no tomorrow.

  I heard the doorknob twist and the door opened, revealing Cherice in the most messiest state ever. Her long red hair was wild and she was wearing a short sleeved gray t-shirt and a knee length pants of the same colour only with some white polka dots on it. There was a band-aid  on her cheek and more on her neck, bandages wrapped on her left arm and both her calves. Our eyes went wide .

A few minutes of silence passed by.

I wanted to ask her what happened, but the words were stuck to my throat. But then, slowly, I got the words out.

"Cherice, what happened?"

Her lips was moving, but no words came out. Realizing that, she tightly pursed her lips together and her eyes drifted to the floor. I'm tempted to ask her again and again about what happened, but somehow I knew that will do no good. I tried to think of a way, a more softer and gentle way to persuade her into telling me what happened.

  Then, slowly, I took her hand (which has our friendship bracelet) using my left hand which was  wearing the bracelet. I held her hand up, and then she looked at me. I looked at her in the eye, pulled her hand to my chest where my heart is and said, "Remember my promise to you? I meant it." 

I heard her sighed. Slowly, she pulled back her hand ,signaled me to come in and made way for me. I did just that and she closed the door as soon as I'm in. She went to the living room and sat on the large sofa, me quitely following her. In barely a whisper, she said, "I'm not even sure how to explain what happened."  Slowly, she met my eye and started explaining what happened. Attacked by Lila, falling from a window and going home badly injured.

  When she finished explaining, I was speechless. But then, I felt as if my blood was boiling. I clenched my fist. Why would Lila even hurt her? What has she done? She's not even involved in her stupid plan to snag attention from Adrien. If it wasn't because of Cherice being in front of me, I would have been swearing like a fiend at Lila.

A minute of silence passed by. " So, lets forget about it. It doesn't matter, really. You really don't have to come all the way here.."she said. "Cherice, stop it! Stop saying that it doesn't matter. Stop saying that YOU don't matter! I promised, remember?" I exclaimed, frustrated by Cherice's mindset. "But that doesn't mean you should worry THAT much about me! I'm only being a burden to you!" she shot back. "You were never a burden to me! I care about you, Cherice! I do!" I exclaimed again.

"Why?! It's not fair that you have to care so much about me and you don't let me worry about you as much as you do!"

"That's because NOTHING has ever happened to me! And you don't need to worry about me, worry about YOURSELF!"

"That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!"

"Not as ridiculous as YOU saying you're okay when you're not!"

"God, why do you even care? I don't understand!"

"That's what friends are for! Aren't I your friend?"

Saying those words hurt me so much.

She went quiet. But then she hugged me. I was surprised, but I still returned the hug. "I...I need to tell you something.." she said. "I-it's about my past." She looked at me and she said again, "Let's go take a walk. I'll be right back." She got up and went to her room. I waited patiently for her and after 30 minutes she came out. She was wearing a different outfit now, a long sleeve bronze coloured turtle neck shirt, skinny jeans and a pair of black sneakers. She tied her hair into a simple ponytail. She smiled and said, "Let's go."

•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:••:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•:•:•:•:•:•

We reached the park after a short walk from her house. It was a calm evening. We strolled for a while, and then decided to go to the bridge. When we reached there, she leaned at the railing and looked at the river below. She sighed.

"A few years ago, I had a best friend. Her name was Laura Greg. We've been friends since kindergarten, but when we were in third grade, the popular kids got into her. She completely forgot about me. At first she ignored me, and then started bullying me. Her little group of friends soon joined her and it went on. At the age of twelve, I started going through depression, because.." she stopped to take a deep breath. I put my hand on her shoulder and she smiled at me. " you see, my parents were never home. Not even on birthdays or Christmas or anything. So I had no one. I became this quiet girl."

Tears started to fill her eyes, and then it fell down her cheek.  I put my arm around her shoulder. It was the only gesture that would make her calm, and it would always work.

"Those years were miserable. And when I decided to come here, my parents tried to stop me. But I convinced them that I'll be okay because I'm used to living alone. There are maids and all, but I could do everything alone. I could cook, fold clothes and all that house stuff. It took a long time before they agreed, mostly because they saw me crying one day at the balcony alone. Dead in the night. And I glad I came here," she faced me  and smiled the most sweetest smile I had ever seen. "Thank you for being there, Nath. Thank you so, so much."

That's when I couldn't hold it. My feelings were getting stronger, and I couldn't keep them in.  I leaned in closer to her, losing myself in her eyes. I cupped her cheek and slowly, I could feel her breath on my face. I closed my eyes.

"Whoa"

I opened my eyes, only to meet her buxton blue ones, wide in shock. Her face was sprinkled red and her hands were on my chest, slightly pushing my body back. I realized what I was doing, and immediately stumbled backwards. "I-I'm so sorry! I didn't know what I was doing I swear I didn't !" I blurted out. Her eyes was still wide in shock, and she started to take a few steps backwards, but slowly.

That's when I knew I blew it up.

-end of chapter 17-
(a/n ik u will hate me >:) )