09 - Surprise

Niel's POV

I'm going to have to go in. I take of my shoes by stepping on the back and slipping them off quickly.

I jump into the disgusting water but it's all to save my friend. Aria's definitely one of my closest friends even though I've only known her for only 2 months.

I open my eyes while in the green slime and it kinda hurts and feels really gross. I can't care about that though, it's much better than losing Aria.

I see a faint outline of her and swim to the bottom. It's not as deep as it looks but definitely not shallow either. It doesn't help that small fish keep brushing past my skin.

Once I reach Aria, I can see she's trying to get her annoyingly heavy bag off but can't get into a good enough position. Probably because she's floating in water and creatures keep touching her. I'm surprised she's actually trying to get out, unlike other girls I know would just freeze.

My hands go and help her take off the bag straps and, without hesitation, we both head back up to the surface. We burst through the water and I support Aria until the mini-cliff and she breathes heavily looking relieved. I can't believe I'm gonna do it.

I take another deep breath and head back into the water but I still clearly saw Aria's worried face while reaching out for me.

You can't hear anything underwater but I'm pretty sure she yelled out my name a couple of times.

I go back to the bottom where mossy rocks lay and grab her bag. You know I'm a genius when I push off the rocks to get the right momentum that allows me to swim up. But I'm also stupid for going back in. Even for me, if feels like......ugh.........just never go in okay?

Aria quickly spots me from above and when I'm close enough, she hauls me up using all her strength.

"WHAT THE HELL NIEL! YOU SHOULD'VE JUST LEFT MY BAG!" She screams at me. Now is really not the time to be telling me off. I just saved her, maybe a thanks would do!?

"You do realise I dived in to save you? 'Thank you Niel my saviour," I say I'm my most girliest voice mimicking what Aria should've said.

"I'm sorry. Thank you Niel. I really mean it," she says sincerely bringing me into a hug. A hug.

She must've realised what she was doing because she backed off suddenly. Even though we we're in a more secluded area, the people who did walk past stared at us and Aria seemed embarrassed. I didn't really mind the hug though. She must've been really scared.

What would you do if you saw two teenagers all drenched and greenish sitting in berries? I would probably give a strange look and walk away awkwardly like all the other people did.

"There's nothing important in your bag right?" I ask an actual important question.

Aria opens her mouth wide and quickly rummages through her bag. I think that means yes?

Then her expression relaxed and she thumped her hand against her heart. "Oh my god that was scary." She says letting out a sigh. "I though I had my iPad Mini in there but luckily it wasn't. And everyone in our grade has one for school so don't act all surprised," she raises her eyebrow and point towards me.

I raise my hands in defence and accidentally laugh at her getting all jumpy, she's not usually like this.

"Okay you should get home quickly. Do you want my jacket?" I ask since it's starting to get cold. Also the fact that we're wet. (No dirty minded people please -_-)