Chapter 3: A Close Call

"Dude will you eat!" Davis yelled seeing Tk nervously staring at his pasta.

"I can't I'm too nervous!" Tk shot back.

"I was nervous for my big soccer games and I could still manage to eat." Davis pointed out.

"No that's not fair. We can't compare Tk's eating habits to yours." Yolie said shaking her head. "So anyway I made a giant sign..."

"That I'm probably going to have to hold..." Cody said sighing.

Yolie ignored him. "And Ken's taking all of us to this fancy prancy private school right after our last bell rings."

"Well be there in time for the game." Ken said smiling brightly.

"Thanks guys." Tk said still nervous. His team was to leave for the school and hour before school ended so they could warm up. "I just don't want to blow the big game."

"You won't. And even if you do we'll still be your friends." Davis said brightly.

"You won't." Cody said reasurring him.

"Thanks." Tk said thinking about how Kari used to reasure him whenever he was nervous.

Flashback

"I'm going to screw up."

"No you're not." Kari said smiling at him. "You're going to make the team I promise!"

Tk was trying out for the middle school basketball team and was extremely nervous he was going to mess up.

"How do you know?"

"I just know some things." Kari said brightly. "And besides even if you didn't make the team everything would work out."

"And how's that?"

"You'd still have me." Somehow that made him feel better.

End of Flashback

"Tk?"

"Huh?" The boy said turning to Cody who was talking to him.

"I was telling you that you had your arm in the pasta." The boy told him with concern. "You alright?"

"Yeah sorry I was just thinking." Tk said wiping the pasta off his elbow. "Big game you know?"

"Yeah..." Davis said having a feeling that Tk was daydreaming about Kari. "We know."

...

"Okay stay still so I don't get this black stuff all over your face." Emily said drawing two lines under Kari's eyes to make her look like the ultimate basketball fan.

Kari smiled. "I think we're more school spirited then the cheerleaders."

"We're cuter too." Emily said giggling. Then she put a red bow in Kari's ponytail. "Okay you're offically hawkafied."

"All I need is some feathers and I could pass as the school mascot." Kari said jokingly looking at herself and her friend in the mirror of their room.