Chapter 7 : After Effects

Tai walked like a zombie into the small apartment he had lived in for a good portion of his life. He was quickly greeted by his younger sister who happily grabbed the phone charger out of his hands and rushed to plug her phone in.

"Thanks again for getting this for me, Tai. I know it disturbed your precious sleep and all but...what's wrong?" She asked seeing her brother's zombie like expression.

"Huh?" Tai asked glancing at her from his still zombie-like state. He didn't seem to have heard a word she said.

Kari's face became concerned. "Tai what's wrong? Did something happen?"

Tai felt nerves rising in him. He didn't really want to tell Kari that he had just encountered Tk, the boy seemed to be popping up alot in her life lately. "Uh no, I'm just tired."

"You're lying."

"Kari I'm not lying." Tai said rolling his eyes at his younger siblings accusions.

"You are too lying because you're walking away so I'lll end the discussion like you always do when you lie." Kari said as a matter of factly. "So cave what's wrong?"

Tai scratched his bushy hair hesitating. "Can't I be tired? You woke me up!"

Kari looked at him for a moment and then got a sad expression in her face. "You saw someone." It wasn't a question, she could tell. "Who?"

Tai shook his head. "Kari don't worry about it, come on this is a happy time of the year..."

"Who, Tai?" Kari said seriously feeling her own voice crack. "Was it Sora? Izzy? Matt?"

Tai put his face down.

"It was Tk..." Kari said feeling her voice break completely.

"Matt was with him." Tai said shrugging giving up on the lying.

"Why is this happening?" Kari asked starting to cry. "Why is he popping up everywhere now? It's been four years and I was doing fine and now this crap happens again!" She shrieked running off into her room.

...

"Hey what's going on?" Davis asked walking into the small apartment with Ken following behind. "You called and said it was important."

"Yeah guess who Tk and I ran into at the mall?" Matt said with a harsh tone. "Tai Kamyia."

Davis' mouth dropped open and Ken's eyes widened as he said. "Seriously?"

"Yeah, the dude was like frozen in shock at us." Matt said shaking his hand.

"Wow Tk must be taking this hard, it must remind him of Kari..." Ken said softly.

"Yeah well guess what was what came out of his mouth?" Matt spat.

"Oh boy..." said Davis thinking of the picture in Tk's wallet.

"He ask's him how she is! Can you believe that! I thought he was finally starting to realize that she wasn't the perfect girl like he thought she was. Now he's sitting in his room looking at an old picture of them. I can't believe this!"