Chapter 8

Chloe is talking to Mrs Césaire on her phone while Alya is playing with her little sisters Ella and Etta, who are both wearing propeller hats. Chloe:yes, Mrs Césaire. The girls are ready for bed. Uh...technically speaking. She chuckles. Chloe:yeah, we're good. Enjoy the movie! She ends the call. Alya:come on, bedtime, you little monsters! That's enough mischief for one day! Alya picks up her sisters. Ella and Etta:it's not us! It's the Sapotis! Ella and Etta laugh.
Alya:off to bed, little Sapotis. You need to rest if you wanna be fighting fit for tomorrow. Etta:it's not fair! We don't wanna go to bed! We wanna stay up with you! Ella:yeah! We wanna watch the movie and tell each other lots of secrets! Alya:and what kind of zombies will you be at the amusement park tomorrow if you go to bed late? Show 'em, Chloe. In the doorway, Chloe pretends to yawn and feel exhausted after she wakes up in the morning. Alya:so what's it gonna be? Boring sit-down pajama party with the big kids, or...the super-fun cool amusement park tomorrow? Ella and Etta:the amusement park! They both settle down to sleep.
Alya:that's what I thought. So, goodnight, Sapotis. She reaches down to remove Ella's hat. Ella:wait! Can we keep 'em on? Please? Alya:all right. But go to sleep now. Alya turns off the light before closing the door and leaving the room. In the living room. Alya sets down a tray with a pitcher of orange juice and two glasses on the coffee table, and transfers the tray's contents to the table. Chloe gets out two plates and spoons in the kitchen. Chloe:you seriously have a technique down with your little sisters. But...uh, who are the Sapa...Sapo...? Alya:the Sapotis? They're little monsters from a créole fable...who are always pulling pranks and making all sorts of mischief. Chloe takes a tray with two slices of cantaloupe out of the refrigerator. Chloe:now that we're all alone, I can finally tell you. Chloe pulls out her phone. Chloe:apparently Ladybug has been around at least since the pharaohs. But no way can the Ladybug we know can be five thousand years old! So, I downloaded a great app that analyzed some recordings I had of her talking. Based on the frequencies of her voice, it turns out she's a girl our age! Alya:uh. Chloe and Alya hear Ella and Etta chuckling. Alya:what? Alya looks over the couch to see that the pitcher of orange juice has been completely emptied. She groans and pulls her sisters into their room and wipes their mouths with a napkin. Ella and Etta:it's not us! It's the Sapotis!
Alya leaves the room again when the twins both settle back in to sleep. Alya:what were we saying again? Chloe:we were talking about Ladybug, remember? Alya:oh, yeah! Ladybug! Chloe:she's like, a high school girl. So to figure out who she really is, all we need to do is to find a girl our age who's always late to... Alya:don't you think there's a reason why she keeps her identity a secret? Chloe and Alya gasp when they hear Ella and Etta chuckling again. They look to see that the two pieces of cantaloupe have been eaten. Alya groans again.