Chapter 23

Chapter 23

“I just couldn’t understand why do you have to desert me, Nawi…”

“Eury, I’m really sorry… it’s just that…”

Eurydice let out another frustrated sigh when her best friend was going to reason out the same thing all over - that she doesn’t want to miss the chance of being together of her only one true love again, which is sometimes too cringy for a normal person to hear.

“I know but… y-you just can’t desert me. I’m your best friend. Even though iiwan mo sa ‘kin ang apartment mo, how can I even maintain it? I’m jobless, I’m still starting out here. I can’t pay the bills. We agreed na makikihati na ako sa mga bills ‘pag nakahanap na ako ng work or something, you can’t just leave me, Nawi!” Her voice is now in desperation. Kagabi lang - nung umuwi siya galing sa pakikipagkita kay Archer Nevyn, bigla na lang siya nitong sinabihan na iiwan siya nito at sasama ito kay Blake sa Scotland - and she also accepted the offer coming from a French modelling agency - meaning, her modelling career is just in France at magiging mas malapit na lang silang dalawa ni Blake sa isa’t-isa.

“I don’t even know anyone here except you…” She added, almost crying.

“Alam ko, hindi naman kita pababayaan,” Nawi squeezed her hands and slightly grinned. Bigla tuloy siyang nakaramdam ng kakaiba dahil sa ngiting ibinibigay nito, “You’re not going to be alone here in New York,” Nawi was even wiggling her eyebrows at her, like her statement has double meaning.

"Nawi... you're scaring me," Kinunutan naman niya ito ng noo.

Ilang segundo naman ay biglang bumukas ang pinto ng apartment nito at tumambad sa paningin nila si Blake - at ang kasama nitong lalake. And the freaking guy is very familiar to her.

"Your pretend fiancee is going to take care of you," Nawi stood up and was grinning. Lumapit naman ito kay Blake and gave him a peck. Blake then wrapped his arm around her friend's shoulders - like they won something. But her eyes were only focusing on the other guy who was standing beside them - grinning smugly while crossing his arms.

"I can't believe this..." She mumbled. The asshole Archer Nevyn is the one who's going to take care of her? That's torture!

"Okay, I know since you two are in the verge of your contract, well, you should also help each other. Eurydice, I called Anjo if pwede bang doon ka muna sa bachelor's pad niya magstay until the art exhibit and he agreed. Eury, I negotiated with him and he also agreed na you're going to stay for free at his house until you'll find a job."

"Nawi, no! I'm not going to!" She immediately reacted and even noticed Archer raising an eyebrow at her like what she just said was a ridiculous thing, "I won't live in the same house with that asshole."

But before Nawi could even reply to her, ito naman ang nagsalita, "You're being judgmental again, Esquivel. How can you say I'm an asshole when you didn't even start living with me yet."

Pinandilatan naman niya ito, indicating she doesn't want him to talk, "I'm not talking to you, Velasco."

Archer shrugged and raised his hands to shut up, "Okay."

Nilapitan naman siya ni Winona at hinawakan ang magkabilang-kamay niya, "Eury, even though Archer may look like an asshole... he's fine. He agreed with me and promised na hindi ka niya pababayaan. Besides, diba you're going to act as his fiancee and vice versa? Isn't this a good publicity stunt for both of your careers?"

"No, Nawi, kung ganito na lang pala ang mangyayari, uuwi na lang ako ng Pilipinas," She replied. Kung ganito lang pala ang mangyayari sa kanya, uuwi na lang siya sa Pilipinas.