17. Moon Over Bourbon Street

"They say the passage of time will heal all wounds. But, the greater the loss, the deeper the cut, and the more difficult the process to become whole again. The pain may fade, but scars serve as a reminder of our suffering, and make the bearer all the more resolved never to be wounded again. So, as time moves along, we get lost in distractions. Act out in frustration. React with aggression. Give in to anger. And, all the while, we plot and plan as we wait to grow stronger, and before we know it, the time passes. We are healed. Ready to begin anew."

I'm laying lazily on the couch in Nik's art room, wearing just my lingerie, while Nik gets dressed. A month has passed since I last saw Rebekah.

"I don't understand. You're angry with me about the call about Marcel telling me to distract you. But there's something else, isn't there?" I asked Nik and he stays quiet so I stood up from the couch and covered myself. "Nik..."

"Are you hungry?" Nik asks and I'm watching him carefully.

"Not right now. Maybe in ten minutes if you tell me what's bothering you." I said and he tried to distract me by kissing me. I pulled away and he looks at me with a straight face. I button up his shirt and tucked it into his pants. "Whenever you're ready to tell me what's bothering you let me know and I'll listen. In the meantime, I'm going to meet Hayley."

"Where?"

"The swamp... I mean, the bayou. She doesn't like me calling the bayou the swamp."

"You're not going to live there... are you?" Nik asks and he looks worried.

"Does it look like I would live in the swamp?" I asked as he smiled and gives me a kiss. "I'll see you later. Maybe in an hour or so."

"I'll be waiting." Nik says just as Elijah walks in the art room.

"Good morning, Ava Rose."

"Good morning." I said as I narrowed my eyes at him. He looks at me oddly and I smiled before I walked out of the room.

***

I'm here at the bayou and all of the werewolves turn to look at me. They all kept their eyes on me making me uncomfortable. "Good morning, fellow werewolves." I smiled, awkwardly.

"Ava." I looked at the cabin to see Hayley by the door.

"Oh, look, my cousin... I think. I don't really know." I said and walked into the cabin to see Hayley and... I forgot his name again. "Um, hey."

"Hey."

"Why did you want me here?" I asked Hayley.

"I sent you an email to meet me here at 7. It's 10 o'clock. And why haven't you gotten a new phone?" Hayley asks as I sat on the couch.

"I never wake up at 7. It's the first time I've been able to sleep because the baby has been moving around whenever I tried to sleep. I haven't gotten a new phone because I've been at the compound all last month. Who's going to call me?"

"Well... your brother." Hayley points out. "Damon has been calling me every minute of every day trying to get ahold of you. He wants to make sure you're okay and I keep telling him that you are but he doesn't believe me."

"I'll email him later. Why did you want me here?" I asked and the werewolf Hayley is betrothed to sits in front of me.

"Do you remember how I told you about you being the one true Alpha because of your father?" He asks and I nodded for him to continue. "We want you to become our Alpa."

It took everything in me not to laugh because this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in my life.

"You want me, former vampire, now mortal also a werewolf also pregnant by my husband Klaus Mikaelson the Original hybrid, to be Alpha of your pack?" I asked and he stays quiet for a second.