15

Emily's P.O.V

I really don't get anything anymore. All my friends are complicatedly but reasonably mad at each other. And trying to help just turned them against me. So what should I do? I don't even know. I guess I'll just improvise. As for Liam, I wouldn't say I have a crush on him. I mean, he is quite cute and everything, and I think it's pretty obvious that he likes me. Plus, yesterday in physics Cam kept saying

"OMG Emily it's so obvious you like Liam"

And I was like, "Nah I don't think so." but still he kept going. It was quite funny and we had a good laugh, but I think that clearly gave it away.

Hailey is very melancholic lately: Cameron was really important for her, but I think that losing Noah's friendship was even worse. They were so attached, everyone thought they were dating, but I was sure it was just a very powerful friendship. I want everything to go back to normal and I'm sure that everyone feels the same way.

Upon realization that the unbearable Miss Winnie was not present that day, the news spread like wildfire across the classes. Other students, who weren't fortunate enough, despite their hopes for their teacher's absence, walked solemnly to their respective classes dreading the nauseating hour of education awaiting them. We walked into the maths class, textbooks in hand. It was the only class our complete group of friends shared. And if you ask me, a few weeks ago it was everyone's favorite despite the dreadful teacher. But now there wasn't a single note of a whisper and not even a single giggle. Well, with the exception of Cameron and Lexi, who of course didn't miss a chance to flirt with each other in front of everyone. I'm pretty sure Cameron would stop at some point: he wasn't the kind of guy to boast about his new girlfriend in front of his ex, however, I still caught Hailey giving them a broken look.

Through the corner of my eye, I saw Liam staring at me, dreamy-eyed. As soon as I noticed, he looked away. I guess Cameron already told him that I wasn't interested, and he didn't take it the best way. I ripped out a piece of paper from my maths book, scribbled on it furiously and crumbled it up.

Have u talked to Liam yet?

I threw it gently at Hailey, indicating for her to open it. She read it, wrote something on it and threw it at... Liam?! What was she thinking? Liam looked at Hailey, confused but determined, writing on it and throwing it back at her. She examined the piece of paper, smiling and throwing it back at me so I could see the whole conversation. It read:

Emily: Have u talked to Liam yet?

Hailey: See, Liam? She's interested, but she just doesn't know it yet. U need to try harder. Ask her for a date or something, and if u think it might be too awkward, ask Cam to come along and I could come as well.

Liam: I guess ur right. I'll ask her after school.

I felt my cheeks burn as I finished reading the message. Was he actually going to ask me? What was I supposed to say? And what did Hailey mean when she said 'You need to try harder'? We only talked about two times in our life: was he trying at all? My eyes scanned the classroom and found themselves landing on Liam yet again. This time he smiled at me confidently, and I smiled sweetly back at him.

I surprised myself a lot by doing that: I wasn't even sure I liked him yet, and I was already giving him false hopes.

"What am I supposed to do?" Was the question that kept ringing in the back of my head, making it impossible to focus on anything else, and before I knew it, the bell rang, finishing yet another school day. I followed the crowd through the gates and found myself getting separated from everyone as I made my way to my house. I guess Liam wasn't going to ask, after all.

"Wait up!" Said an excited voice that surprisingly sent the corners of my mouth straight up.

"How're you, Liam?" I replied.

"I'm good," he said, ruffling his blond hair nervously. "Listen, me Hailey and Cam are meeting up after school, and I was wondering if you would like to join us."

"Oh, you mean like a double date?" I couldn't help but asking, right before I remembered that Cameron was dating Lexi.

"Yeah, something like that." He laughed at the joke, even though I actually meant it.

I smiled "What time, what place?"

"We were thinking to meet at the mall at about 7." He responded, with his voice high with hope.

"I'll be right there. See you, Liam." I finished, walking away before he could reply: I wasn't going to make it easy for him. But just the thought of spending the afternoon together, made an unintentional giggle escaped my mouth: this was going to be interesting.