Chapter 25 Storms and a fever

Third pov

Amelia stood looking over the map when Drinian and Caspian found her.

She gave them a nod to acknowledge their precense. "I think i know what the next island is."

The two men shared looks of slight disbelief. A look Amelia caught. "You two do realize i am the one that used to control the border? And it was my job because i could see it from the sky." Her tone was anything but amused.

Drinian gave a slight nod. "I apologize, Your Highness. What is the next island?"

Amelia gives them both a slightly sour look before pointing at the Lone Islands at the map. "How many of the islands look has changed over time and i can't answer for the time it takes to get to them by boat, but what i can answer is that there is an island coming after the one Coriakin lives on. The problem is the seas."

As she talked they had moved over to see where she was pointing. Caspian's eyebrows furrowed. "The seas?"

She nodded. "The storms at these waters are unlike anything I've ever seen. I was lucky i had Eclipse. After that, and i can't stress this enough, i don't know how long it'll take, but there is an island."

Drinian studied the map. "Have you been on it?"

"Briefly. It's volcanic, and there isn't much to eat if you don't know where to look, the bigger problem there is the very reason i gave it its name."

Caspian wasn't sure what to think about the expression she had. But it gave him a bad feeling. "Amelia, what did you name it?"

"Dragon Island. I don't know if there is one there, it wasn't back then, but, i think that might be where Elipse is."

Drinian shut his mouth. "I'll go and make sure we are prepared for a coming storm." He left them alone.

Caspian noticed Amelia rub a spot on her chest. "How are you feeling?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. You heard Coriakin, i have to break the parent bond with Eclipse. If i don't, then I'm risking both of us."

There was something in her voice, something that sounded so, sad. So shattered.

"My uncle killed my father when i was little, shortly after my mother died. From heartbreak perhaps. I used to dream about sailing to the end of the world, to Aslan's country, and finding him there waiting for me." Caspian had turned his eyes to the map. "I thought that it would always hurt as much as it did when i was told about their deaths, but i was wrong. It gets easier, maybe not right away and maybe not all the time. But it does."

Amelias eyes were glossy and she let out a shaky laugh. "That is the most comforting thing i have heard in a good while." She did her best to compose herself. Letting a serious steely look seep into her eyes. "If Eclipse is there, then i have to see him myself."

Caspian could see the resolution in her eyes. "Promise me that you will be careful."

"I will be as careful as i can. Over a thousand years have gone by, i don't know if he will be happy to see me."

Time skip

Just like Amelia said, a storm hit on day five.

Everyone working on deck were drenched and Amelia was no different. Her hair stuck to her face and clothes and most of her clothes stuck like a second skin as she held on to avoid the waves trying to pull the boat into a watery grave.

She, Edmund and Caspian helped on deck while it was decided to leave Gael with Lucy for most of the time. Something the older girl wouldn't complain about. Gael was a very nice and polite child and they didn't want to risk taking her out on deck.

Amelia felt a fever build slowly as the flashing pains in her chest spread. She knew the other three were keeping an eye on her as she was out there.

When day seven came Caspian found that he couldn't wake her when it was time for food.

"Amelia?"

Her hair and face shone with sweat and her forhead was burning to the touch.

Caspian remembered the Magician's words about Amelia becoming sick. He thought for a moment about what to do before he took his blanket and put it over her quilt. She would need to stay down there.

He went to look for Edmund. The boy in question looked confused when he came alone. "Where's Amelia?"

"Sick. A bad fever, she didn't even react when i tried to wake her up."

Edmund had been told by Lucy about the topic already and frowned. "I didn't think it would be so soon. But i don't think we need to worry as long as we keep an eye on her. The last time she managed to burn through the fever."

Caspian had already come to terms with the fact that when it came to each other, the old Kings and Queens knew best. That didn't mean he wouldn't worry though.

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)