Chapter 6 - Drowning in secrets

As Madison arrived home from the funeral, she noticed her parents car wasn't parked in the driveway.

And as she guessed the house was empty. They had left again. Leaving her and her older brother Ollie, to fend for themselves.

This is what rich parents did in this town, left their kids with a load of cash and wouldn't come back for months on end. Or maybe it was just Madison's parents that did.

Madison notices that her brother is also nowhere to be seen. She sighs and drags herself upstairs after an exhausting morning.

She was tired. Tired of faking it all. Tired of having secrets to protect. Tired of not being able to trust anyone.

But that was what was to be expected of someone with so much power.

She threw her bag and keys on her bed and took off to the bathroom to shower and get ready for tonight's party at Brooke's.

She knew deep down that the party was a bad idea, but she desperately needed a distraction. And she needed this party to properly start her plan, to take down Jake Owens.

Of all people, he threatened her. She's got to give it to him, she didn't see it coming. He was always so loyal and sweet.

You think you know people and then they surprise you.

She took off her make-up in the shower, her tears washing away down the drain. It was the only time she was able to show her vulnerability.

No one would know, that Madison Black had a soul. And she was going to keep it that way.

Love is a humans greatest weakness after all. Love would get her killed. She knew better than to let herself love someone again.

Not after what happened with Logan.

Once she was out of the shower, she dressed up in a silky, dark red, tight dress. She put on her mask and straightened her crown, mentally preparing herself for tonight's events.

As she was just applying the finishing touches to her face, she heard the door open and close.

She strutted downstairs, a brief smile falling on her face as she sees Ollie, her older brother walk in.

"Hey Maddy." He was the only one who called her that, and he was the only one she let in. Well, only sometimes. They briefly hugged in the hallway.

"So, parents have gone again." He states, a hurt look stirring in his eyes. "You alright?" He asks her, genuinely concerned.

"I'm used to it." She says, tilting her head at him, her face emotionless and completely blank.

He nods, knowing not to push her, but knowing they could never get used to their parents abandoning them for months on end without a care in the world.

"How was the funeral?" He asks her as he follows her into the kitchen.

"Alright I guess." She says, opening the fridge and grabbing a bottle of wine to drink before she goes out tonight.

"I'm sorry about Lexi, I know she meant a lot to you. And about Jade. It's weird isn't it, this town..." He drifts off in a daze, staring out the kitchen window, lost in thought.

"This town is changing." He finally says as he looks back at his sister whose standing in the doorway with a strange look on her face.

"It's not changing Ollie. It's just revealing it's true colours." She says, shaking her head knowingly.

"Why'd you think she was killed? Lexi?" He says, curious.

"She had secrets. Maybe someone wanted her buried along with them."