Chapter 8 - Dark and light

It was pitch black. Screams echoed through the mansion, as chaos ensued.

Glasses were smashed on the dance floor and the music was blasting louder than ever. Groups of people were running out any door they could. Lights occasionally flickered, as if time stood still and wanted to resume to normal. But something was stopping it.

Maybe it was the boy strung against the living room wall, with a knife in his throat and a dead, fearful look in his eyes. Or maybe it was the blood splattered on the Queen's face as she stood staring at the dead boy in front of her.

Time passed as she stood there. The mansion was emptying, the lights were back on and the doors were being locked one by one.

A few hours earlier ...

"So, you and Lola, huh?" Madison asked Grayson casually as she sipped her fresh glass of wine in the packed kitchen.

The boy froze. No one was meant to find out, especially not the Queen.

"Did Lola tell you?" He asks nervously.

"Lola? Really?! She may be a cheating whore but she sure knows how to keep a secret." The Queen replies, laughing at Grayson, mocking him.

"What I want to know is what did Carter do to make Lola this crazy?" Madison says looking Grayson up and down.

"For her it was revenge. For me it was real. Carter cheated on her first so she thought she would take it one step up and sleep with his best friend. I didn't realise she was using me until last night." Grayson confessed to the Queen.

"Didn't realise you had a heart Grayson. And here I thought you'd be the perfect candidate for a king. I was clearly wrong."

"I never wanted to be king, but please I beg you, don't tell Carter about me and Lola. He'll kill me." His eyes widen, and for the first time Madison can see true fear in his eyes.

She absorbs it, enjoying every moment of his quick fall from power. Once again she would be the only one left standing with her crown gripped to her head tightly.

"Your fate is undecided for now. One day I will come to you. And you will do what I ask." She says, staring him down.

"Of course." He says breathing a sigh of relief.

She walked away feeling smug. He will be useful when the time is right.

As Madison made her way through a winding corridor leading to the backyard, flashing lights hit the walls behind her and blinded her temporarily. It seemed that there was an even bigger party going on in Brooke's huge backyard.

People were jumping in the pool, others were dancing on tables. It seemed that this was where the real party was. Madison smiled to herself, maybe she should let go for a while and try to enjoy herself.

She swayed her hips to the thumping music, her arms waving above her head and her eyes staring up at the shimmering stars above.

The night air grew colder and more and more party-goers entered the mansion, leaving the backyard almost empty except for a few straddlers.

Madison was dancing alone, enjoying the beat of the music and the freedom of the young drama-filled night ahead of her.

Drunk on the night itself and the 5 bottles of wine she had managed to get through, she stumbled through the shattered glass and empty cups scattered about on the lawn. Her eyes set on the mansion in front of her, she was intent on getting inside without falling over in her 6 inch heels.

"Need a hand?" A voice whispered in her ear.

She turned to face the mysterious boy who she spoke to, earlier that night.