Chapter 11 - I fell in love with the devil

It was a game of push and pull. Someone had to fall and someone had to be left standing.

Madison wasn't so sure if she was going to survive the last year of high school with a killer on the loose. Her power of being Queen was the last thing on her mind as every mistake she had made, swept through her thoughts like a cold icy blizzard, reminding her of every awful thing she had done and said in the past.

Maybe this was a test, she wondered, as her and Liam left the diner making their way through the parking lot.

Her friends stayed behind in the booth. Their heads filled with fear and worry over who the Queen would choose as bait in order to catch the killer.

Madison and Liam stayed silent the whole journey back to Liam's house except for when Liam gave her directions to his home.

He lived in a beautiful white mansion in the richest area in town. Although you would never have guessed that he came from such a wealthy family. He wasn't dressed head to toe in designer gear like the rest of the gang always were. But then he didn't seem the kind to brag.

Madison parked a few blocks down the road from his house, not keen on his family peeping through the curtains at them.

For some reason, Liam stayed seated in the car. His eyes analysing every inch of her. She immediately felt uncomfortable, as if he could see all of her secrets.

Why did he make her feel like this?! So vulnerable...

"I'll pick you up on Monday to go to school if you'd like?" He asked her. His tone of voice giving nothing away.

Why would he offer this to her? Why couldn't he just stay away when he knew being around her was putting his life in danger? Or was he curious to find out what could happen between them?

Madison wondered if this was just a part of the game. A test of some kind. So she smiled sweetly at him and nodded.

"I'll pick you up at 8." He told her, a hint of a small smirk on his face, before swiftly leaving the car.

Madison watched him walk down the road towards his house. He seemed like an ordinary guy. But there was still something mysterious about him that she just couldn't figure out.

Was she able to trust him unlike the others or was he being friendly so that in the end he could betray her and take the crown for himself?

Did he know about that night? Did he know what kind of person she really was when the sun goes down?

These unanswered questions left Madison reeling. Somehow she gathered the courage to drive home alone through the dark, something she didn't like to do often.

The dark nights were something she feared, now that there was someone out for her head.

🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪🔪

Madison felt guilty as she climbed into bed. The plan she came up with was bound to leave another person dead. But what else could she do?!

Her phone pinged just as she had settled comfortably into slumber. Her mind still alert, she sat up in bed and reached over the nightstand for her phone.

It was a text from Logan of all people and it certainly wasn't something she wanted to read at this time of night.

'My sisters back in town. She asked me where Ashley is. I told her she left town but she didn't believe me for a second. I'm coming over to yours now.'

Still half asleep, it took Madison a minute to realise who Ashley is. Or in fact who she was.

Maybe Logan's older sister, Nicole, would give up on searching for her twin and leave town. But Madison knew better. She wouldn't stop looking for her until she found her.