Chapter 2

The wardrobe fell to the floor with us inside. The monster had knocked it. Whether he knew of our presence in the room or not, I was unsure. I landed on my back, smacking my head in the same place where my cut was. Mr Chair fell on top of me, he wriggled himself off rather awkwardly and apologised. I fought back the urge to cry out in pain as the monster would surely hear.

"Charlotte, are you ok?" He whispered.

"Uhuh... Just... my head." I replied through gritted teeth.

"I think it might be bleeding but the bandages will soak it up, Stephano did a god job of fixing it up. We'll be safe here for now, we just have to not move until someone trustworthy comes." He said.

"How long could that take though?"

"I'm not sure, but don't panic. We'll be fine."

I winced in pain from the splitting headache that suddenly came over me. He moved over to be as close to me as he could get and kissed my forehead. I felt my face burning and just hoped that he couldn't see. 

"Just close your eyes and rest. I'm sure they'll be back soon." he whispered.

"Wake me up if anything happens though."

"Alright, I promise I will." 

I relaxed, I would've been cold but he kept me warm in his arms. I felt as though, in that moment, my life depended on this one person and I trusted him with it. My eyes fluttered shut and I drifted into a more peaceful sleep than earlier.

****

When I woke up we were still in the closet on the floor. My hand clutched at Mr Chair's shirt and one of his hands pressed my head to his chest, the other rested on my lower back. His heartbeat was rhythmic and steady. It was comforting to hear it for some reason.

He was still sleeping and I didn't want to wake him. I didn't want to move either, I was so comfortable and warm despite being in such a cramped space. Every so often he would stir, meaning he was slowly waking up. I shut my eyes again, pretending to be asleep.

"Charlotte?" He whispered quietly, adjusting his arms slightly. I moved backwards a little so I could see his face.

"Mhm?"

"Oh, I was just seeing if you were awake."

"I've been awake for a while." I giggled.

"O-oh sorry." He seemed embarrassed.

"You don't need to be sorry."

He moved back, giving us a tiny amount of space in the wardrobe.

"How are you feeling?" I asked, remembering his injuries.

"I'm fine, they really don't hurt as much as they did, surprisingly. What about your head?"

"Weak headache but that's about it." I smiled "Any news?"

"No," he sighed sadly "It's still just us."

"Oh..." I looked down, saddened.

"Charlotte listen to me, we will get out of here. Even if no one comes back for us, I'll get us out. Don't worry."

All I could do was nod. Him being next to me prevented me from being quite as terrified as I would've been, had i been alone. For some strange reason, I felt that I had met Mr Chair before. He was so familiar yet I couldn't ever remember meeting him. Though one thing was for sure; I was falling for him, and I was falling fast.

****

"Fils de pute! I told you not to make a noise!" An angry voice yelled and I heard footsteps in the hall.