~ seven ~

The Science Center is less crowded than normal - as the week goes by and the remaining finals dwindle down, more and more students are headed home for the winter break. I wander around slowly, scanning the faces of everyone I see, hoping to find CJ. I check out the cafe, where the workers are chatting amongst themselves, less busy than they're used to. I peek inside lecture halls open for study groups, and in the more isolated spots, but I can't find CJ. I try to ignore the disappointment I feel brewing inside me.

Grabbing an empty table in the cafe, I begin taking out all of my Biochem materials. I need to study much more for this one than Physics, I sigh. I check my phone and notice texts from Hannah and Cass in the group chat, and from Hannah individually. I ignore the group and see what Hannah sent me, knowing it will nag at me the entire time I try to study if I don't read it now.

Hannah: Sorry about last night! Couldn't find you, hope you had fun ;)

I roll my eyes and put my phone in my bag, not needing any distractions and also not wanting to face the issue right now. Still, I'm really annoyed at both of them - they knew I was drunk and I was only in the bathroom for a few minutes, when I returned they were gone. And Hannah never came back to the room to see, so how hard did they really look? I push the negative feelings aside, the last thing I need is to fight with my best friends during my most stressful year of college.

At that moment, a shaggy dark head catches my attention across the large atrium in the window of the Psychology department office. CJ is chatting casually with a professor I recognize from the school website. I feel the edge of my lips turn up in a wide grin, as I grab my phone and leave my books at the table. I'm surprised at my own confidence as I make my way to the office, excited to be the one surprising CJ for once.

I politely wait by the door to the office, not interrupting their conversation. "I just think it's time to consider next steps," I overhear the professor explaining. What's his name again? Professor... Professor J something, I recall. Johnson? That's not it. I can't remember now. Next steps with what? I wonder to myself patiently.

CJ spots me by the door and his expression shifts. I'm taken aback a bit as he almost... frowns? Scowls? I cross my arms over my chest, looking at my feet. Not the reaction I was hoping for.

"Professor, I appreciate the advice." CJ cuts him off as the professors eyes trail to my face, brows furrowed. "If you'll excuse me, I need to see what this student needs." This student? Excuse me? My cheeks warm as I remember his lips on mine. Embarrassment brings color to my cheeks as my mind scolds me once again for kissing a near stranger. I know better than to do things like that. It probably meant nothing at all to him. Why should it?

"Fine, just come by my office once you're done." The Professor grins at me with a tight smile, nodding his head as he passes by. I shift uncomfortably in the doorway, regretting my bold move.

"Kat," CJ doesn't really smile when he looks at me. It's the first time he hasn't seemed happy to see me, I notice with another wave of embarrassment.

"Oh, now you know who I am?" I snap, suddenly feeling much more irritated than embarrassed.

"Kat, listen," I stare at him expectantly as he figures out what to say next.

"Well?" I prompt when he comes up empty.

CJ runs his hand over his face. "It's just complicated. I'm having a bad day." He shrugs as if everything should make sense to me now.

"Whatever," I roll my eyes and shove off the door frame, back to my textbooks. I should've just stayed there studying to begin with. The entire walk back, I'm aware that CJ is walking right behind me, and I smirk despite my irritation.