~ twenty-eight ~

Campus is buzzing with nervous energy, talk of study guides and grading scales in the air anywhere you go. I've given up on the library - too crowded and hot to concentrate, if I were even able to find a seat. Lecture halls are open for extended hours - whiteboards full of scribbled handwriting explaining hard-to-grasp concepts from study sessions the night before must be wiped from the front of the classroom before the last week of classes can resume. Students litter every building on campus, finding quite nooks and crannies to cram for their upcoming exams.

I let out an impatient sigh, the coffee line in the Science Center double its normal length. Tis the season, I think to myself, carefully watching an underclassman chug his third iced coffee of the morning. I know because instead of focusing on my paper edits, I've been watching out for CJ, and since he's not in yet, I've had plenty of time to people watch.

When I finally pay for my coffee and return to my table with Hannah and Cass, I sit quietly, not interrupting Hannah's retelling of her spring break.

"Connor couldn't come, obviously," Hannah looks glum, probably missing her older brother. "He's been studying for the last month," I cringe for him - law school finals probably take things up several notches in the stress department.

Hannah continues, her blonde brows crinkled above her sky blue eyes. "So it was just me, Dad's girlfriend, and her kids on a cruise ship together."

I grimace as Cass pats Hannah's knee sympathetically. "I, for one, am glad you didn't throw yourself overboard," She plants a soft kiss in Hannah's hair.

"I second that," I raise a hand playfully. "I'm sorry Han," I'm surprised her dads latest relationship has lasted this long, if I'm honest.

"What about you?" Cass nudges my chair with her foot. "Was it awkward being home with your mom?"

"We pretty much didn't speak all week," I groan in agreement, leaning back in my chair glumly.

"Did you tell her about switching your major?" Han asks, breaking off a tiny piece of Cassandra's croissant and sticking it in her mouth before Cass can notice. She winks at me secretively.

"Nope," I shake my head. "So this summer is gonna be great," Changing the subject, I turn to Cass. "How was your break?"

She shrugs. "Spring training, as usual." Noticing some slight tension, I look between the two of them slowly.

"So Hannah," I venture, stirring my coffee absentmindedly, "Have your parents come around yet? About you dating Cass?"

I recall the night Hannah spent hours crying because she knew her parents wouldn't like them as a couple but felt bad for denying Cassandra. The longer she held off telling, the more Hannah worried that Cass would think she was embarrassed of her. I tried to tell her that Cassandra would support her coming out whenever she is ready, but Hannah's doubts kept creeping in.

"I haven't told them," Hannah's cheeks turn pink. "I'm just waiting for the right time," she stares at her hands at the same time as Cassandra bends down to tie her already tied sneaker.

I nod encouragingly. "That makes sense,"

The silence that follows would be awkward if Cass didn't take Hannah's hand in her own comfortingly.  Clasping their hands together, Hannah seems to relax and I smile at the two of them. If anyone can stand up to their parents, it's Hannah.