~ thirty-one ~

FALL

The late summer breeze blows my dark curls in front of my face, bringing the scent of popcorn and crispy fried dough with it. The entire quad is full of concession stands serving carnival food and giving away college freebies. Campus is buzzing with the typical excitement of the new semester, seeing friends who live across the country for the first time since the spring, and showing families around the facilities on Family Day.

Music plays in the background, a catchy station known for the latest summer hits, and I hum along, scratching at my sunburn I got while at the lake with Lucas last week. I savor the memory, knowing I'll soon be drowning in homework instead of lounging on a floaty, and take in the carefree atmosphere appreciatively.

Sitting across from me at our picnic table, Cass and Hannah laugh to themselves, Hannah's blonde head nestled into Cassandra's shoulder. Hannah fights with Cass to steal some of her Mac and cheese and I can't decide who will win, but enjoy the spectacle anyways as they struggle against each other.

"Not fair!" Hannah smacks Cass playfully when she stands to her full height, raising her plate well above Hannah's head.

"Not fair?" Cass laughs, almost choking on her mouthful of food. "It's mine, you little thief,"

Beside them, Hannah's parents look on with smiles on their faces. Hannah told them about the relationship the day she got home and called me sobbing happy tears afterwards. Her parents said they didn't care if Cass is a girl, so long as she's a nice girl.

I'm glad they get to see the two like this. Watching them together now, there's no denying that Cass makes Hannah happy. She giggles more than I've ever seen from her and just gazes at Cassandra with such admiration in her eyes that you can almost feel the love in the air.

Cassandra's mother sits on their left, tall and red haired just like Cass. The relationship is nothing new to her and she is busy shoving her nose in the latest college catalog. It's easy to see where Cass gets the laid back attitude from, I notice, watching her mom pop a gum bubble with her lips.

"I'm going to grab a water, you want anything?" I stand from the bench and offer to Mom, who's also browsing the magazine, perking up only to tell Cassandra's mom of something cute on a certain page every once in awhile.

Smiling brightly at me, she drops the catalog and shakes her head. "I'm good for now, honey. When do we have to go to the English building?"

I can't help the grin on my face at her question. Every Family Day, academic buildings are kept unlocked so that students can show their parents the buildings. Some professors will even come in during the weekend to chat about their majors. One of mine is, and I'm more excited for Mom to hear about the class than I've let on. But she seems into it and the thought makes me happy.

Although Mom had been tentative about the English major at first, she eventually began becoming more invested. As the days passed this summer, she sent me more and more blog posts and testimonials of varying careers I could pursue with an English degree, always following up with me on what I thought during dinner. Even if I'm not really thinking of the career she suggests, I appreciate her interest nonetheless.

Soon, I even began comfortable sharing my creative work with her and I'd often find her curled up on the couch in the early morning, coffee in one hand, as she scoured my pages. It feels so good to know that there aren't any secrets between us anymore, but it feels even better to know that I have her support in my new dream.