17| Can't Help Me

I heard the sound of water flowing nearby and birds chirping up above

I heard the sound of water flowing nearby and birds chirping up above. I slowly opened my eyes and realized that I was looking up towards the sky. There were bare trees surrounding me with the birds perched on them.

I slowly got up and noticed how I wasn't in white clothing anymore. I was now wearing a black hoodie, ripped jeans, and sneakers. Where was I?

I decided to answer that question by walking around. Nothing looked familiar, but something did feel weird. I noticed that my senses weren't as heightened as normal. My mind felt empty and I felt like only half of me existed right now.

"Eliza?" I called.

Wait, I said it out loud. Why did it come out loud?

I tried again. "Eliza!"

Still out loud.

This time, I finally got myself to say it in my head but it was now more of a thought than a calling.

Oh, my goddess!

Eliza's dead! My wolf is dead! She won't answer me and I feel empty. I bet I couldn't even shift.

I got down on all four and tried to shift, but nothing happened. No feeling of bones moving or someone taking over happened at all.  I started to panic as tears welled up in my eyes. I'm just like my father; a wolf-less werewolf.

I crouched all the way down and watered the ground with my tears. "Eliza, I'm so sorry," I sobbed.

I don't know how long I was crying before a whimper was heard over my sobs. I slowly raised my head and looked around, but didn't see anything. I stayed quiet for a while until I heard it again. This time I got up and started to follow the sound.

I was going deeper into the woods and I knew it was wrong but something just felt right. The whimper was loud now; I knew I was close by. I searched around the area until I saw a golden brown wolf lying underneath a fallen tree.

Its eyes were bright, almost yellow with a hint of brown. She reminded me of- Eliza!

"Eliza, is that you?" I asked, my voice coming out as a whisper. The wolf answered me by raising its head up a little. "I'll take that as a yes," I smiled, walking towards her very slowly.

Before I even reached her, a gray wolf jumped out of nowhere and stood over her protectively. He bared his teeth at me and growled. I would have shifted but because Eliza and I were somehow separated, all I could do was surrender.

I slowly raised my hands and backed away. "Easy now," I told the wolf. Eliza buried her head into her body and covered it with her tail, showing that she was afraid and submissive towards him.