Chapter 6: The Final Training

I woke with something heavy resting on my torso. It was thick; bulging with corded muscles wound so tight I thought they might spring loose. The sheets were soft, too soft, not at all like the ones on my bed.
The foggy haze of sleep slowly lifted and I realised that I wasn’t in my bed. I wriggled out of the bed and stood on the cold metal floor. I stared at Clint who was still sleeping. There were black marks on the white pillow I’d slept on; the mascara I’d been wearing last night had rubbed off while I’d slept during the night.

I remembered everything from the night before; we hadn’t done anything dramatic really...

Im so sorry, I blurted, sitting on the couch at the end of his bed, Im sorry you had to go through that because of me.

It's okay, Stella, really. He placed his big hand over mine, covering it completely. Usually, Id flinch away at this kind of contact. I wasnt used to it at all, but when it was him...it was comforting. I found myself wanting to touch more of him.

No, it isnt, Clint. Im going to die in less than a week, Ive accepted it. You should too. I dont need people to take punches for me. I dont understand why anyone would. I felt my throat begin to shrink as a lump the size of the Stark Tower built up. I felt the tears prickling at the back of my eyes but I looked away from him and blinked them back.

Hey, Clint said trying to regain my attention. When I didnt look back at him he grabbed my chin delicately and forced me to face him. Stella, listen to me.

He gripped my face with both hands and stared intently into my eyes. I could almost see the fire within them. He had so much determination it scared me, but they also held softness affection.

Stella, I would take a million punches for you. I welled up even more and tried to look away again. Im going to help you through this. Youre not going to die, I swear.

I have never loved being lied to more than I do right now. I mumbled before he pulled me in and crashed his lips to mine.

Before Clint had the chance to realise I was up and awake himself, I left. In my room was the tribute uniform waiting on the chair next to my bed that had been re-made thanks to the maids that slipped in and out without me hearing or seeing them.

I wondered if they’d notified anyone about my disappearance over night. I decided I didn’t care. I was here now, that’s all that mattered. Tomorrow I was going into the arena and I wasn’t going to see Clint or anyone else here, again.

After a quick shower, I slipped into the black and red uniform and pulled on the black sneakers with it. I was running late, which was a first. In the hallway I bumped into Ryan and Nora who greeted me with a smile and asked how I’d slept.

I guess its just Jack and Luke who dont like me. I thought and sat with them at breakfast. We chatted about our nerves. Who we thought would win while Ryan joked that he would be the first civilian to make it passed day six.

“We’re getting scored later today.” Nora said after a stretch of silence, we’d been eating our pancakes when she’d put down her fork and given us a glum expression.