Chapter 5- The Knights of Ren

Back in the First Order base, Kylo Ren speaks to his two generals.

"Serei," he gestures to one who wears a black hood with a bird-like mask, "And Hailden," he gestures to the other with heavy armor and a mask that looks like a god of rage, "you two are the last remaining Knights of Ren. As such, your duties were to lead the attack on the main ship. But you both failed. I am very disappoin-"

"In us? Reports say that YOU were the one who stopped attacking that girl when you had the chance to kill her!" Serei interrupts Kylo.

"How dare you!" Kylo tries to choke her, but Serei retaliates and the two are in a stalemate. She continues, "Kylo, stop with these stupid formalities. We both know what you did. Some of the troops did too, and they're telling everyone. What the hell were you thinking?"

Hailden speaks up, "Both of you, stop! In-fighting will get us nowhere. Did you both forget how all the other Knights of Ren died because of in-fighting? Snoke was furious and never let us band together again. We had to hide in the Nissidha tunnels, where he couldn't detect us. But now that he's gone, the Knights are resurrected. And we cannot make the same mistakes."

Kylo stops. He turns around, not speaking. Serei takes off her helmet, and so does Hailden. Serei is an alien with glowing red-violet skin, as it just struck hot by a blacksmith's anvil. Just beneath lurks volcanic ember flowing through her veins. Hailden is an alien with silky, indigo skin, as if cut from a milky marble statue. Though his presence is majestic, there are cracks in his body, hardened from years of pain and suffering, but they do not affect him- he stands tall and imposing.

Serei groans, "Kylo, just tell us what happened." Kylo clutches his fist, but then takes off his helmet too. He faces them both.

Kylo says, "She was mocking me. I suddenly felt the Force flow away from her. The opening was too easy."

Serei raises her eyebrows. "That is weird. Sounds like a trap."

Kylo angrily replies, "And THAT'S why I hesitated. Did you hear what you want?"

Serei snaps back, "It would have been easier if you led our meeting off with that instead of your stupid roleplay."

Kylo grips his helmet. "Snoke hated this mask. He didn't believe I was good enough to lead. But now I'm the one standing on top of these stairs. And you two are right there beneath me. You heard what you wanted. Get out."

Serei and Hailden exit the meeting.

Serei tells Hailden, "Who does he think he is now? We all know Snoke only declared him our leader because he's a Skywalker kid. Now he thinks he's the Supreme Leader and can order us around like that. Or- at least he tries. He never gets very far, does he?"

Hailden replies, "All I can say is that the First Order has not gone in a direction I thought it would."

Serei says, "Yeah, with Whinelo Ren leading it?"

Hailden replies, "No. We joined Luke's academy because he promised to save our home. We left because he broke his promise."

Serei rolls her eyes and says, "No. You did that. I just felt the Jedi were too boring. I went there to learn how to do cool tricks, not meditate all day."

Hailden ignores her, and continues, "Even if you do not want to admit it, I know that we both felt unrest spreading in the galaxy. Though the Empire fell, in-fighting within the New Republic continued. Each side had their own agenda and didn't care about their allies. And war raged on. They took our lives away from us." Serei looks away, not sympathizing, but deep down she knows it's true. Hailden speaks again, "I thought... maybe the Empire was right. There needs to be central control. Without such an iron fist, the New Republic would implode. Hard decisions have to be made to ensure survival of some, at the cost of others. Or else, everyone would be destroyed. So when I heard of the First Order, I was given hope again. But Kylo... he doesn't share that vision. All he wants is to rule, to be recognized as the most powerful."

Serei sighs, "Yup, that's Kylo. But hey, we got a pretty good deal as Knights of Ren. At least we're on the winning side. You can shoot for all that galaxy peace and stuff. I just want my own castle."

ELSEWHERE, with his helmet off now, Kylo is walking across a metallic bridge. Around him, there is only the hum of First Order machinery. He seethes, and shakes his head. The words ring inside of him: The Hooded Beast. How could she have known? Just then, he notices a strong presence standing before him. He stares ahead, but sees nothing. Yet it was so familiar- it was just like the raw energy he felt inside of her. He takes a step closer, but it starts to fade away. He walks faster, his face showing more and more desperation, but the faster he runs, the faster it fades. And then, it just disappears. Kylo clenches his fists, and relinquishes. He regains his composure and heads into the doors at the end of the bridge, entering an industrial complex. As soon as he enters, Hux walks alongside him.

Hux sternly says, "Supreme Leader, I have new updates about the proposed Superweapon, the Aquillian Starfighter."

"The one proposed by General Hailden? The thing that we learned was useless without the twin crystals?" Kylo mutters back.

Hux quickly replies, "Yes Supreme Leader, but we have excellent news. During the battle, our intel discovered that one of the crystals was held by the Jurials. Apparently, that was how they were able to power their guardian from their distant past."

"Remarkable. And where is it now?"

"We... believe it is now in possession of that girl, Rey."

Kylo stops walking. Hux looks apprehensive. Kylo speaks again: "Very well then. We must focus our efforts on taking this crystal from her. With both crystals, we will be able to power the Aquillian. Resume the project at once. I want to divert a large portion of our engineers to its construction."

With their meeting adjourned, Kylo walks away, back through the doors where he came from, back onto the cold, metallic bridge. The soldiers, the weapons, the chain of command- they all fade away, and all that is left is a man in solitude, left to the devices of his own thoughts. There is no one for him now.

"Mother," he whispers, unprovoked with no premeditation.

A deep sense of shame overtakes him, and he tries his best to push it away. But he can't. Ever since he heard of Leia's sudden death, he could not relinquish the damning sense of guilt that lay within. He wasn't there for her. Not for years. And she left the world believing that he hated her. Forever.

Kylo stops in his tracks, and begins to listen to the dark chants of the ship's gears and pistons. They are unable to drown out his raging demons, the ones which claw relentlessly at his very being. Forever; it has been done. Now, there is only one path he can follow.