Chapter 34- Exile and Defeat

As the trio of First Order generals run through a corridor, sneaking past their former soldiers, Serei whispers to Kylo, "Where are you thinking about going now?"

"I have to find her," Kylo says, "She has to know."

Serei sighs. "You know, you can always just come with me and Hailden. I mean, I don't think we can go to Inimoni anymore, but there's always more sacred expanses. Hide out, live free."

"I can't leave her."

"Well," Serei tries to find something to say, but gives up. "I guess you're pretty set on this, huh? What if she kills you?"

Kylo ponders. But he doesn't answer. He can't find anything to say.

Serei lets out a long exhale. "Just let me and Hailden know if she starts acting weird. We got your back."

After turning into another hallway, Kylo stops. He murmurs, "I sense it. The spies are nearby. They've got control of the weapons and the ships." They turn to head another way. Kylo continues, "There's only one escape that hasn't been blocked."

The trio head into a large room, and find themselves standing on a high tower, where many more obsidian black towers are in view. There is a low hum amidst the total silence. There are no electronic panels, and the only visible lights are dimly lit and placed alongside the edges of the towers. Below, far away, lie escape ships.

Serei turns to Kylo. "You go first. We'll keep watch on top."

Kylo nods. He jumps down from the high tower, the falling wind gusting through his First Order uniform, and he Force lands. He looks above, and waits for Serei to jump down. But something is wrong.

There is a force that he has never felt before. Yet, he feels as if it has been near him the entire time. Where there was a concealed darkness, now the darkness is being commanded. It is walking, its footsteps growing heavier and heavier. Marching.

And, for a brief moment, it disappears.

Serei notices Kylo is not feeling well. "Hey," she asks. "You okay?"

Suddenly, a red light pierces through her chest; she gasps, and is kicked off the high tower.

"NO!" Kylo yells out in desperation. Serei's body is falling, faster and faster, and Kylo catches her with the Force, gently bringing her towards him, and down into his arms.

Blood leaks from the corner of her lips. Her eyes are getting weaker, and she glances at Kylo. With a frail voice, one still in denial, she whispers to him, "He... he couldn't have..."

When Kylo gazes into her eyes, he senses it. The familiarity. They were more alike than he had ever realized. It is only in her last moments does he see.

Kylo shoots his head up and stares at the high tower. There, wielding a dark red lightsaber with intense ferocity, stands Hailden, his face expressionless, but infused with more determination than Kylo had ever felt in his life. His stance is tall, and hauntingly familiar. He had seen it before- he had seen it in Rey. And now, fear begins to crawl down Kylo's spine.

Hailden jumps down, falling faster than a powerful cannon blast, and lands softly in front of Kylo and his dying friend. He speaks, "I knew I couldn't change her stubborn mind. I could only change my own."

Serei tries to hold on, but is finding it harder to do so. She finally succumbs to her wounds, dying in Kylo's arms. Kylo trembles, but there is nothing else he can do. He lets her down.

"Did she mean nothing to you?" Kylo yells at Hailden.

"Does the galaxy mean nothing to you?" Hailden booms back. "All my life, I have searched for it. Luke didn't have the answer. Neither did the First Order. But now, I have finally found it. And you are so selfish that you cannot see just how grand and breathtaking it all is."