Chapter 18- A Daring Endeavor

"AW, COME ON!"

Finn braces himself as Poe yells in the isolated chamber. Finn speaks up, "If we do it right, no one will ever know we were there."

"We saw those files," Poe shouts back, "That's the best evidence we got right now."

"And you trust Merilia?"

"Are you just gonna doubt everyone?"

"Look, you know something's off. And I know what I saw in that vision. If Citho's up to something, we're the only ones who can stop him. The leaders will never believe us unless we get concrete evidence."

"And you're basing all this on what? Some magical hallucination?"

"It's not just some magical hallucation! Here, watch this." Finn reaches his hand out towards a device lying on a nearby table. Nothing happens. "Damn it," he whispers under his breath.

"Right," Poe says sarcastically, "I think you really do take too many Entu berries."

"Just let me focus!" Finn insists. He tries again. Nothing happens. Then the doors open, and HQ-7 slowly wheels in. Suddenly, it whirls and short circuits. "HQ-7!" Poe shouts. He rushes over to it. "What did you do to him?"

"I- that was an accident!" Finn exclaims. As Poe inspects the droid, he notices something suspicious. "Huh," Poe says, "I can't figure out what's wrong. You really can use the Force after all."

"Well," Finn tries to play it off cool, "Looks like I can."

"But if you messed this up by accident, how do you know your force vision wasn't wrong, too?"

"Rey was there with me. She wouldn't get it wrong."

Poe sighs. "Okay, pal. There's no way I'm changing your mind. And since I'm not gonna let you do this alone, I've got your back."

Finn is surprised. "Whoa, I didn't think it'd be that easy."

"My job is pretty bad now. They're assigning me all these stupid things to do, and I'm never given anything important. The Resistance hasn't been in the best mood; all the leaders ever whine about is how they need Rey to inspire people. I've been thinking to myself, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Citho really was a bad guy. I kinda want to get some new management around here."

"Um, well, whatever works for you. Anyways, I've got a plan to get to the records. It's not like the prison cells; Gunwick can't get to them. No one is good enough to hack into them, either. But there's a passageway I found that can lead to a physical, backup copy of the records. I'm just gonna have to go through some vile crap to get through it."

"What, is it through the sewage system?"

"I'm gonna have to pass through some of the ship's old machinery, and whatever crazy stuff lives there now. But to get to them, I'll need some keys. There's only one person I know who can lend me them. Rose."

"We're gonna involve her, too? Man, she'll never be on board. And you'll be putting her at risk!"

Finn sighs. "There just isn't a better plan. I... I feel bad about this. But there's something bigger at stake here. Poe, I'm gonna need you and HQ-7 to be on the lookout in case anyone notices I'm running through the machinery."

"Huh, that's the first time you said you needed HQ-7 to do anything. Don't worry, we won't let you down." HQ-7 is not listening to them, and has been trying to fit a blaster into a wall socket for a solid minute. Finn groans.

IN a room filled with machines and engines, Rose is working. Finn sees her, and calls out, "Rose!" She turns around and sees him standing from afar.