Chapter 47: Sad Beautiful Tragic

"Kei, are you okay?" Isabel asked her daughter as she put a mug of coffee in front of her. Kei was zooming out again while Isabel was talking.

Napapitlag ang dalaga at tipid na ngumiti sa kanyang ina. "Ahm, I'm fine, 'Mmy," she said.

"Lumilipad na naman ang isip mo. What's bothering you?" Isabel gently asked.

Kei shook her head. "Wala po. Medyo masakit lang po ang ulo ko," she subtly lied.

Her mother's eyes filled with concern. "Why? What happened last night habang wala ako? May hindi ka ba sinasabi sa akin?"

Kei shook her head again. "Wala po. Nasobrahan lang po siguro sa trabaho. Medyo maraming inaasikaso ngayon sa oposina," she responded, giving her mother a sheepish smile. "Ano nga po pala ang sinasabi niyo?" she queried, trying to divert the topic.

Even though she was disappointed and furious at what Kian tried to do to her, she wasn't yet ready to tell her mother about it. She did not even want to think about that night.

"Melina offered us last night to open a new business with our friends," Isabel answered.

"Anong business po iyon?"

She shrugged. "We are not sure yet. Maybe a resto? Wala pa talagang specific na plano but we think a food-related business would be a success following the current trends specially to the millenials. Mahilig silang kumain. Pero s'yempre, kailangan namin ng kapital. Siguro all of us would give money to start up the business."

"Are you sure about it, 'Mmy?"

"They are my friends for more than three decades now. Sobrang kilala na namin ang isa't isa at hindi na kami maglolokohan, if that is what you are concerned of."

Kei beamed at her mother. "I'll support you in whatever you want to do, Mom," she spoke as she reached to hold Isabel's hand. "I am really happy for you, Mommy."

"Thank you, Kei," Isabel said before giving her daughter a hug. "Wait, what is this?" she asked. Lumayo siya sa anak at pinagmasdan ang leeg ng dalaga.

Kei's brows furrowed. "Ano pong mayro'n?" she curiously asked as Isabel continued to scan her neck.

Her mother touched the red spot on the angle between her shoulder and head. "Is this a hickey, Kei?" Isabel asked and it took a minute before Kei was able to process it.

Her eyes widened considerably upon the realization. Naalala niya no'ng kagatin siya ni Kian sa parte ng leeg niyang iyon kagabi. Dali-dali niyang kinuha ang cellphone niya at tiningnan ang repleksyon sa camera. Lalong nanlaki ang kanyang mga mata nang makita ang tinutukoy ng kanyang ina. Hinawakan niya iyon at hinimas.

"Bakit may chikinini ka, Kei?" inosenteng tanong ni Isabel.

"Po?" Kei asked back and nearly whacked her head when she realized how stupid she sounded. "This is not a hickey, Mom," she lied. "Nakagat ako ng lamok kagabi sa leeg kaya namumula ito ngayon."

"Are you sure? Wala namang lamok sa bahay?"

"Mayroon po. Kagabi. Opo, may lamok kagabi. Wala po kasi kayo kaya hindi niyo sila nakita," she reasoned as she laughed awkwardly.

"Are you sure you're okay, Kei? You don't seem to be yourself magmula kanina."

"Okay lang po ako, 'Mmy. Let's eat na po, I'm starving," she uttered.

Kahit naguguluhan ay umupo na si Isabel. Pinagmasdan niya ang anak habang naglalagay ito ng pagkain sa kanyang plato. "Karlo called me again," sambit niya na nagpapukaw ng atensyon ng kanyang anak.