Chapter 48: Realizations

Dedicated to: YassUp12

--------------------

Cesar smiled hesitantly at the woman in front of him. She was beaming at him but he felt awkward at the way she stared at him. Hindi siya komportable at pakiramdam niya ay pinipintasan siya nito kahit wala pa naman utong sinasabi.

"So..." Isabel said as she crossed her arms over her chest. Her smile did not slip but there was playfulness swimming on her eyes that made Cesar's nervousness double. "I heard you are courting my daughter?" she asked.

The lad politely nodded his head. "Yes, Ma'am," he mumbled. He was trying so hard to hide his intimidation at her aura. She held so much authority that he did not find on Kei.

"And..." she trailed off again as she looked at him from head to toe. "What do you have that you can offer to my precious Kei? What made you think that you deserve her?" she questioned, raising her perfectly trimmed eyebrow.

Cesar froze. His gaze lingered on the glass of juice Isabel offered when he came. He was taken aback by Isabel's question and his mind went blank. He tried to come up of an impressive comeback but there came none.

"Wala?" Isabel asked; she seemed bored. "Paano niyan ako papayag na manligaw ka sa anak ko kung wala ka man palang maibibigay sa kanya?"

"Mommy!" Kei whined and the two occupants of the living room swiveled their heads to direction. She was standing on the last step of the staircase. She was looking at her mother while her arms were crossed over her chest and pouting.

Cesar's face instantly brighten when he saw her. She was wearing a white dress and her hair was braided. She looked so beautiful that Cesar couldn't help but adore her.

"Tinatakot niyo po ba si Cesar?" Kei asked her mother who grinned broadly. "Mom, I told you to stop doing that trick to my suitors! Natatakot sila sa'yo, eh!" she complained and Isabel laughed aloud.

Gumaan ang atmosphere sa living room para kay Cesar nang marinig ang tawa ni Isabel. Gumaan din ang pakiramdam niya at naging komportable na siya sa loob ng apartment.

"Sorry but I can't help it, Kei!" magaan na wika ni Isabel bago ito tumayo. She went to her daughter and smiled. "You look so beautiful," she complemented but her daughter just arched an eyebrow at her. She sighed then but her silly smile never left her face. "I'm sorry, Kei. It has been a while since I last pulled that prank and I missed doing it. Hindi ko napigilan ang sarili ko."

"Binibigla mo silang masyado, Mommy."

"Okay lang na mabigla sila para hindi nila maisip na kaya ka nilang lokohin nang basta-basta dahil ako ang mismong puputol sa lahi nila kapag pinaiyak ka nila," Isabel threatened as she took a peek at Cesar who shyly smiled at her.

"Mommy, ayan ka na naman!" Kei complained and Isabel laughed again.

"Hindi mo naman lolokohin ang anak ko, hindi ba, hijo?"

"Hindi po, Ma'am," mabilis na tugon ng binata.

"Mabuti na 'yong nagkakaliwanagan tayo," Isabel said before she turned to her daughter again. "Sayang at hindi ko nai-prank nang ganito si--"

"Mommy, stop it! Do not even go there ang say his name," putol ng kanyang anak sa kanya.

Isabel's grin grew wider. "Okay," she said as she raised both her hands as sign of defeat.

Kei rolled her eyes at her mother before pasting a smile on her face as she turned to Cesar. "Kanina ka pa?" she asked as she walked towards him.

"Mga fifteen minutes pa lang siguro," the lad answered as he picked the bouquet of flowers on the center table. "For you," he spoke as he extended them to her.