07.

07.

He rests his hand on the rough paintwork that coats the gate and pushes, holding the door open for me like a proper gentleman.

I step into the shaded room adjusting my eyes to the dim lighting. The bar is hundreds of conversations told in loud voices, all of them competing with the funk music that dominates the atmosphere. The crowd is young; students from the university for the most part.

This place is quite fancy, but that’s fine with us as long as the alcohol’s plenty. We took our coats off as we sat at the bar. The female bartender was there to take our order in a flash; her eyes dropped wholly on Taehyung’s body as she leaned forward to hear his voice better. Her black hair lay over one shoulder of her sequined dress. She lolls her head to one side, pushing out her red lips just a little. She’s flirting, but Taehyung seems unmoved by her efforts.

The smoke twisted in its artistic way forming curls in the gloom, illuminated only by the age-speckled bar lights. I like this place, it’s modernized but keeps the behind the times vibe that is eventually unique.

The hot bartender measures two shots of rum and mixes the alcohol with a rich-red juice. Then, she sets the drinks in front of us winking at Taehyung before she goes.

“Oh, that’s strawberry daiquiri!” I exclaimed sniffing my drink that releases its essential juices into one tiny sip.

“I thought it would be perfect for a night like this one!” His boxy smile came into sight as he tossed half of his drink back in a swallow.

“It’s a sweet drink though, not a strong one. It’s like… cuddling up with bae instead of having a rough night with your lover in the back seat of a car” Taehyung is starring off at some point in the distance as a smile slowly crawls on his face, turning to a beam.

“You’re an expert, I see” He clicks our drinking glasses together, taking another deep gulp.

I looked at my swirly liquor and when I glanced up again, Taehyung already stared at me, studying my face. I coughed folding one leg over the other, dangling my high heel and showing more leg yet his face stays aloof, disinterested.

“Tell me about you,” He said.

“Nope, it’s not about me comer, it’s about you. I’m all ears” I laughed girlishly waiting for him to speak.

“Well, after high school I worked as a stylist in the Parisian theaters, designing clothes for the performers of Palais des Glaces and I was really happy with them. It was my first ever experience and they kinda held sway over me. I was amazed by every show and then, I decided to take some singing classes back in Korea” I can discern the sparkle in his eyes as he tells his own story. Eyes as open and honest as any child- I guess warmth and safety are relative. He has good taste in fashion though; he is gentle, delicate and carries a mystical aura with him.

“I think you fit great for that kind of job. You have that Parisian beauty and gentleness” I blurted and he looked back at me; a mild flush of pink had arisen in my cheeks that made me look vulnerable. I held my breath as he leaned upon the tips of his toes changing his position.

“Thank you, I was once part of a Christmas Show. It was hilarious; I sang ‘I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus’ in a Santa Claus costume having a long, white beard on my face and a ten-gallon hat. It was absurd!” His accent is such a playful tune as if he is the star of his own movie. I could sit here all night simply to listen and smile.

“I see, you’re a man for all seasons; a lot of girls must have fallen in love with you then, huh?” A grin lit up Tae’s face like a sallow candle in a dirty paper lamp showing almost every tooth. He licked his fleshy lips as his eyes pierced mine again.

“Nice try, Caramel, but not today”

“Did you just call me Caramel?” I chuckled.

“Yes, desired yet dangerous” Our glances battled each other.

“You find me dangerous?” I simpered.

“Don’t forget the word desirable” He whispered moving his head closer to mine.

The moment my heart skipped heartbeats. The anticipation of being together in a way that is more than words, a completely tangible way.

“Taehyung?”

Our heads tilt to the left. He pulls away as a young girl nears his spot.

“Where have you been, Taehyungie? You forgot me so fast?” The girl whimpered while wrapping herself around him defiantly.

“Nice to see you, Ella” Tae formed a tiny smile pushing her body away gently and shooting a soft apologetic glance at me.
She rolled back her shoulders and observed as my face remained apathetic. She flipped her amber hair glancing my way with a raised brow.

“Nice to meet you too, Ella” I scoffed getting a forced smile from her before she casts her eyes back at Taehyung.

“You must come with me, Jisoo was looking for you everywhere since you left the town baby and the truth is that we all have missed you!” The girl blinked charmingly twiddling her hair in a seemingly absent-minded way. Taehyung let out peals of laughter. It turns out that they've known each other for a long time and he totally likes her too.

“At some other time, Ella” He turned with that serious look that still has his trademark warm eyes looking deep into her own.

She flicks a tongue over the tip of her beer bottle; her gaze locked on him as she slowly backs away. Great...

I raised a finger to call the bartender and she came directly to me.

“Two shots of vodka, please”