14.

14.

🌟

Caramel Show

Day 2

His celestial eyes shine behind his lacy mask as he places a delicate hand around my waist, hoisting me up and carrying me across the stage. He looks pretty wearing all black-nothing motley or unneeded. The embroidered roses on his shirt glimmer as they catch the light pairing with my glittering outfit.

We swirl like professionals. Our movements flow with a dazzling grace that takes away the breath of every person in the audience. I can feel everyone’s relish, my eyes are unwilling to break the eye contact though.

My hands touch his shoulders moving up to the sweaty area of his neck then, to his head casting the mask away. Taehyung smirks. He keeps his eyes on me, yet still, he knows exactly where to take me. He savors the movements taking the time to complete each one before moving on to the next. I arch my back, my legs perfectly extended like a prima ballerina and he grabs me. We both dive into an oasis of alluring twists and no matter how tightly I put my hair up, I always end up with a half-assed ponytail.

His fingers rest on my hips that are carelessly covered by that impressive tailcoat with the asymmetrical sleeves. He huffs and puffs from the strenuous dance. His breath, short and trembling, tickles my left ear, and I move my body aggressively, his fingers tighten on my ribs as we are  one step closer to the grand finale.
When the song ended the audiences’ applause filled our ears. I couldn’t help but smile at him. He dropped his eyes momentarily before glancing up again. He tilts his head to one side and a bright grin forming on his lips.

...                                                                                            

We changed into something more comfortable and we left from the back door.

“Well, we should have informed that we’re leaving!” I murmur while Taehyung quietly opens the door for me.

“It’s freezing outside, shit!” I cursed when the cold breeze blew right through my sweater. I closed my eyes, lashes weighed down with mascara to keep out the nippy air. “Let’s take a cab!” I put forward at once. He rolled his eyes, letting out a provocative “Tsk” in response.

“More walking, less talking” He clasps my fingers and pulls toward the main road.

“You’re a weirdo” I stated, blowing on my palms to warm them up.

“At least I’m good looking” He winked at me with that typical boxy smile of his.

Unusually, Taehyung remained silent staring at the night sky of Seoul. The crescent moon smiles down at us and I close my eyes again, a vibrating sigh passes through my parted lips as I did so causing my breath to fog up my vision briefly.

Look! A shooting star, right there!” Taehyung exclaims pointing at the sky. His pupils dilate in pure enthusiasm like he just beheld a miracle. Those brown eyes are a million hues, so I wonder what the word "brown" even means. They are the forest and the autumnal leaves, the color of the earth after torrential rain, the color of hot chocolate on a winter night, shining and melting like caramel. Suddenly, the world shuts as heavy lashes bury the inside and his mouth’s moving, but still, I can't hear his voice, a wish.

The blocks pass in a blur. No one is out except for us, but just then two happy teenagers round the corner, muscular and tall probably foreigners.

“Here we are...” He utters softly. I look up slightly confused by the view in front of me.

“Um, we’re in a hospital?” I pout. He nods before he reaches my hand pulling me closer to him.

“If you feel uncomfortable or overstretched, you tell me and we leave anytime,” He says. The more I mull it over, the more my brain becomes a spinning top, always finding more questions than answers.

We finally reach a door, cream and dull alike the walls around. Taehyung halts for a while inhaling deeply then, blowing the air slowly from his nostrils. Don’t freak out yet I thought to myself as I entered through the creaky door. There is no decoration at all, only a linen curtain that separates the patient from the visitants.

“Hey sweetheart, how are you?” Tae asks fondly the young woman who sleeps in bed. While her heart pounds faintly against her chest, her skin is so fragile and pale, challenging you to touch it. Her hair is short; brown curls framing an angel face that is marked with freckles.

“Her name is Lily. She is my fiancée” Tae confesses in a whisper while his fingers stroke her head. I came down to earth with a real bump...

I gulped, pressing my lips into a grim line. My eyes fell on the nearby nightstand. A big vase is placed there, spiritless like the girl beside it. Lilies... like those I saw in his room that night. She likes lilies?

“Her favorite flowers!” Tae answers the question in my head before I could ask.

“She never listened to me” He sighs “Last year, on Christmas Eve, I was working at that bar in the north I’ve told you about. She wanted to surprise me, but the weather was terrible; snowstorms, rain, and cold. She took the goddamn car and–” His voice cracks while his hands clenching the clean bedsheets. Anger tries to reign over endless grief.

“Her car skidded on the ice and smashed the crash barriers. The Doctors diagnosed her with locked in-syndrome the rarest and most severe form of paralysis, where a person loses control of all his muscles except the ones that control his eyes, but she’s currently in a coma so, she feels nothing” He titters before a sob escapes his lips, a kind of desolate sobbing that comes from a person drained of hope. His face creased with pain and I clenched my fists so tightly I can feel the sweat trapped inside them.

“Taehyung...” I cried placing a hand on his shoulder.

“I-I can’t let her go, Denise, not yet” He bawls and falls into my arms. The sight of such misery pricks my heart and I try to labor over the right words unsure how exactly to convey my heartbreak for him.

...

“I took a gamble that you like your coffee as sweet as your cocktails!” The dulcet tease raised a smile from him and I sat on the bench right next to him.

The blue glistens in the first golden rays of the day. The early morning sun is already well risen and a hundred beads of dew lounge upon the grass, each one a perfect glossy sphere. The air feels frozen, but thankfully not too harsh.

“Thank you, I knew I could trust you” Taehyung mumbles looking at the swirling hues of his coffee-every shade of brown I adore blends perfectly.

“You won’t tell the others? You can trust them too” I said.

“It’s hard for me you know, I hate how distant these memories are yet I can’t walk away because she suffers a trauma,” He said intending to drink from his coffee cup, but he snaps his head back to the horizon instead. 

“It’s crazy because Jungkook thought that we are...but that can’t happen anyway” I bit my lips, shooting a glance at him.

His eyes are so different in moments like this one-softer than any eyes I have seen. He looks so deeply into my own and a surge of desire shoots through me as he licks his bottom lip nervously.

“Denise, do you like pancakes?” His eyes sparkle, the light makes them look alive in a way that brings to mind old sepia photographs. I chuckled, nodding hungrily and the next minute I was lured into that tiny café among the huge city buildings.

♥️