Chapter 23

After hours after my assault, I managed to fall asleep. It was nearly impossible, but I guess I got a few hours of rest before I woke up and was unable to sleep any longer. Sometimes my dreams were just as haunting as reality, especially after getting raped. If I ever did get out of this, I was going to take the best sleep of my entire life because this was just brutal. Trying to fall back asleep, I started to reminisce about one of my favorite memories as a child.

              Every year on my birthday my family would go to the beach. Today was my tenth birthday and it was a big year because dad said I could go into the ocean without an adult. I was a big girl, so I didn't them to come with me. As soon as we got there, I ran to the edge of the sand before the water began. I looked back at my little sister laughing that she had to stay with my parents. I was a big girl now. The waves crashed into the shore, making me a bit uneasy. Were the waves always this big? The stench of saltwater filled my nostrils and I knew it was now or never. I took a step into the warm water, my feet sinking into the wet sand below me.

           All it took was one little step to get over my fear and I ran into the ocean, fully submerging myself in the water. From there on, my parents had to practically drag me out of the ocean. It was amazing. I'd never felt so excited about anything before. I'd been in the ocean a thousand times if felt like, but this was the one time it was different. I was on my own. I was free in that moment.

            Freedom. Independence. I remembered that feeling like it was yesterday. Clinging to that moment should give me the strength to get out of here. Fear could not stop me from getting what I wanted. That was the day I knew I could do anything I set my mind too. Sure, I didn't think I'd be doing anything like this, but I was strong. I had to get out of here and live the rest of my long, happy life. Hopefully, Ashton would come soon and tell me what was going on and what his plan was going to be.

            Just when I had found a sense of peace being trapped down here, the door unlocked and started to open. I wasn't going to get my hopes up thinking it was Ashton. Last time I did that, I regretted it. I wanted to live in that moment on the beach forever. It was my happy place, somewhere I wanted to be so badly right now. Ashton had mentioned before that he enjoyed the beach as well. When we got out of here, that's where we were going. I didn't care how it happened, but we would have a good memory for us to share. After all of this, I still probably wouldn't stay in touch with Ashton, even if he manages to save my life. I believe he really does need help just not from Dr. Daring. I'd spend one day with Ashton on the beach before we had to go our separate ways. I didn't want anything extra to remind me what all I have been through in the past seven months or so.

           The door swung open and Jax walked in. I tried my best not to cower away, but I was truly afraid of him. He has ruined my life over and over again. He has hurt me in unimaginable ways and possibly breaking me to a point of not being able to fully recover. I kept telling myself Ashton would get me out of here. He would save me, I had faith in him because there was nothing else to hold on too.

         "We are going to have an interesting day. Change things up." Jax said, not wasting any time by coming and unchaining me from the wall.

           He yanked me to my feet causing me to nearly fall over from how weak I felt. My bones felt like they could snap at any moment and the urge to collapse to the ground was pretty strong. I needed more food and water but that wasn't going to happen. He remained silent as he led me to the torture room. So much for changing things up. This was still the same room as normal. Was he planning on torturing me in a different way? How could he possibly change what he has been doing?

          When we entered the room, I noticed Ashton was sitting in the wooden chair in the middle of the room, the same one where Kennedy was murdered. Jax pushed me towards him and then threw some rope at him.