Chapter Two: Roller Coaster

After the hand grab, I literally ghosted through my whole day. I was thinking about the way he held onto my hand and was wondering if it was just an instinct because the bell scared us or if it was something more that neither of us could manage to own up too. After our last class I passed Xan in the hall, as I was leaving with Liv. He was headed deeper into the school to change and start practice, so Alex was taking Liv and me home. She brought my attention back to her after she yelled bye to Xan in my ear. I tried to focus on leaving the building and getting into Alex’s car. I made it into the car and Liv announced that Xan and I almost had a special moment this morning and suddenly, that meant two fanning dorks in one car. Liv was just louder and in my ear.

"O.M. Freaking.G!!" she was squealing.

"So they like almost kissed? It's real?" sometimes Alex is just as bad as Liv.

Liv got even crazier eyes when he said this, "Like yes O.M.G! Yes! It was so close like I should have pushed them together they were like right here close. O.M.G! Wait I have pictures!" I could have killed her!

I finally chimed in, "You have what?"

Liv smiled triumphantly, then reached up to put her phone in front of Alex's face. I'm so happy that the light was red, or we would have wrecked. Alex let go of the wheel and squealed, he sounded just like Liv, maybe even worse. I covered my ears. The car suddenly sounded like an award show performance playback. I decided then that there was no way I was going to tell Liv, or Alex or anyone about the hand grab thing. I then let my thoughts take over me and I thought about Xan. I really did like him, I liked his personality, how he treated me, the affection he had for me. I loved how he always made me smile, no matter what my mood was. I just didn't like his stereotype, the preppy jock crap, and most of all the spotlight. Ya, Liv has a spotlight but not like that. Everyone knows Xan, #13, the wolves' quarterback. His dad had a spotlight too, he was the quarterback for the wolves in his day. Then Xan's uncle, his dad's younger brother was a quarterback too, he was handed the position the year after Xan’s dad graduated. Xan's dad, Xan's uncle, and Xan all took quarterback as freshman. Both Xan's dad and uncles’ numbers are retired for at least the next seven generations and when Xan graduates next year his number will be retired too. "I think that's my problem with dating Xan" oh shit, I said that out loud. Liv and Alex's conversation stopped midway through naming our fourth kid, something about a daughter named Harmony Rose.

"Wwwwhat?" Liv stuttered.

"I....what?" I was playing dumb, clever right? No, not even a little bit she's my best friend and she knew better. I looked around; we were sitting in my driveway. "How long have we been here?"

"Uh like five minutes?" Liv half question answered me. "Now what was with your comment? Don't play stupid with me Isabella", she wasn't playing and obviously I wasn't getting out of this one.

"I was just thinking about the whole Xan and I thing and I like him and all", Liv was lighting up, "but, he has a really bright spotlight. I don't want that" I kind of coward away because Liv looked crushed. My heart broke seeing her so upset over something.

“You two would be so amazing though! I mean I also have a spotlight as you say! You could just,” then her phone rang mid thought, "it's your mom Bells" she answered it "Hey momma" she paused. She looked me over and her eyes lit up. Then she was talking to my mom again "yeah were here, just talking to Alex for a few" she looked at Alex. "Yeah, we'll be in. Just a moment, momma" she looked back at me and smiled. It wasn't a Liv smile, a happy smile or a crazy woman talking to me smile, honestly it was scary. "Love ya momma" she hung up and slipped the phone into her bag. "Alex we'll talk later. Loves" she gave him a half kiss on the cheek and slid out the door.