Chapter Twenty- Three: For The Last Time

The next day was the funeral. A few maids came in to wake Liv and I, but we were already up and moving. Liv was in the shower when they came in.

“Good morning your highness, do you need assistance preparing for today?” the one asked.

“I actually have a serious question for you, don’t laugh at me. Do you have cereal around here? I am in the mood for some chocolate cereal” I ended the statement with a small shrug and a smile. They both smiled.

“We do but the queen doesn’t like it so we hide it. We can bring some up and eat with you. But that’s completely up to you and we don’t want to…’ I cut them off.

“Bring the cereal we can all eat together; I’m guessing that’s not a normal thing? I’m really bad at this higher than other type of thing. I make a crappy princess” I told them, crossing the room to stand in front of them. “They call me Bella back in America and I’m not one that does spotlights so cereal in my room with the door locked is perfect” they smiled.

“It’s not something the queens we have know would do, your grandmother was much more on the harsh side then your mother. They’re both great rulers but some inclusion in normal activities would be nice.” Their faces fell then, “we didn’t mean that like it sounded!” I saw them freaking out. I think they were worried they offended me or something. They started rambling about all the nice things they get; I think most of it made up, but I wasn’t sure yet.

“Hey hold up! It’s no big deal, I'm not going to run off and tell my mother that you said anything. Go grab the cereal and we can sit up here and get to know each other a bit. The right way. It would be nice to make some friends here.” I smiled at them. “Can you bring up and extra bowl?” I asked, figuring they would ask why.

“For Miss Liv, of course!” They left with huge grins. I might not make a perfect queen, but I want to be the queen people can consider a friend. I want my maids to talk to me like Alex and Xan did. I mean do, like Alex and Xan do.

I walked into the bathroom, “hey Liv so the maids are going to bring up cereal so we can eat it, but we have to hide it. Are you hungry?”

“You’re kidding, right?” she asked me. “I’m starving half to death!” we both laughed.

“Listen, I really want to learn this queenly stuff so I can take that title and be the one that these people can be friends with and trust, like really trust. The maids that are bringing the cereal up were freaked out thinking I was going to freak over them saying the past two queens have been real control freaks.”

Liv peaked out of the shower to look at my face, “seriously?” She stared at me. “That’s horrible! They really shouldn’t be treated like crap after all that they do around here” she closed the shower and finished up.

“It was sad, like I want to be their friend” I told her. She shut off the water, so I handed her the towel from the counter. “I feel like they need a friendly queen that they can really trust.”

“I agree, I think you’re the perfect girl for the job” she smiled elbowing me. She hung the towel and slipped on her robe; we joined the maids in my room.

“Door locked?” I asked them.

“Yes, Miss” they answered.

“Call me Rose. It’s easier to adjust to, I’m not a queen.” I smiled, trying to get them to feel safe around me. I didn’t want them to think I was just like my mother.

“Oh okay” the one answered, they were shocked.

“Not a queen, yet” Liv corrected me.

Liv grabbed the comforter off the bed and placed it on the floor, we sat down on it and motioned for them to join us. They looked at each other like I was crazy, but they shrugged it off and joined us on the floor.