xii. The Phantom of the Phantom's House

The middle of the night...

Erik woke up suddenly, his heart racing from the dream he'd had moments before as he tried desperately to calm himself down.

Charlotte stirred when she felt him move and opened her eyes. "Erik?" She whispered. "Is something wrong?"

He shook his head. "Just a dream," he said, sitting up and rubbing his eyes before he turned to face Charlotte and pulled her into his arms.

"Oh, darling," Charlotte said softly, rubbing his back. "What happened?"

"I just dreamed that you ran off with Thomas, even though it's totally irrational," Erik explained. "I guess I'm just afraid of losing the woman I love again."

"That's understandable, considering everything that happened with Christine," Charlotte nodded, holding him tightly. "I'm never going to run off on you, okay? I love you so much. I wouldn't even dream of doing that to you."

"I know you wouldn't. I love you too," Erik said, pulling away to hold her face in his hands.

"I love you more," Charlotte smiled as she gave him a soft kiss. "Why don't you go back to sleep, dear?"

Erik nodded and wrapped Charlotte in his arms, leaning his head on top of hers. "You get back to sleep too. I'm sorry for waking you."

"It's okay, darling," Charlotte said softly. "I don't mind."

"You're too good to me sometimes," he whispered.

"You deserve it," Charlotte whispered back.

Erik shrugged. "I don't know about that, but...thank you."

"You're welcome," Charlotte smiled, giving him another quick kiss. "Rest now."

"You too. Sleep well, love."

"I'll try, but sleeping at a right angle isn't exactly the best sleeping arrangement I've experienced," Charlotte giggled. "Don't worry about me, though."

"We'll switch, then. I'll sit up," Erik said, gently moving his legs off the couch to rest on the floor. "Find the arrangement you're comfortable with. Or you can go up to bed."

"No, no, you can lay back down. It's okay," Charlotte nodded.

"Charlotte, I'm fine. I don't really fit laying on the couch, anyway. I'm too tall."

"I'm not much shorter than you are," Charlotte chuckled.

"I know, but my knees are stiff and- okay, fine. Don't lay down. It's okay," Erik said with a shrug. "If I'm not comfortable enough for you fall asleep on, then it's fine."

"No, you are," Charlotte said softly. "I just thought it'd be more comfortable for you to fall asleep on me."

"It was comfortable. I'm only trying to return the favor."

"You're too sweet," Charlotte smiled. "Alright, fine. I'll lay down."

"Finally, my god," Erik said with a chuckle.

Charlotte giggled, laying across his lap. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight," Erik replied, grabbing a nearby blanket to cover her before he leaned his head on the back of the sofa to get back to sleep.

—————

Good morning, Papa," Gustave smiled before giving a little frown. "I thought you were laying across Charlotte's lap."

"We switched about halfway through the night. Now keep your voice down. She's still asleep," Erik said, gently running his fingers through Charlotte's hair.