xviii. Stop and Think of Me

Charlotte took a deep breath, setting her suitcase beside the door. "It feels so good to be home."

"It does indeed. I've missed it," Erik said as he looked around at the house.

"Can you believe this is our first time being in the house as husband and wife?" Charlotte smiled.

"I know, it's lovely." Erik paused then and looked over at her. "Aren't I supposed to carry you over the threshold or something of that nature? Isn't that the tradition?"

"Perhaps," Charlotte shrugged. "Shall we go back outside and do it?"

"Yes, let's. We've held to other wedding traditions, so why not this one?" Erik took her by the hand and walked her out the front door before he scooped her into his arms. "There we go."

Charlotte giggled. "You're such a romantic."

"So you've told me," Erik said with a chuckle as he walked her through the front door in his arms. "There. Now it's official. This is our home as husband and wife."

"Wonderful," Charlotte grinned, kissing his cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too. Now, I suppose we should unpack before Gustave gets dropped off."

"Yes, we should," Charlotte nodded. "However, we could just relax."

"We could do that too," Erik said as he walked straight into the parlor and fell into his armchair, Charlotte still in his arms. "I'm leaning towards that option."

"I see you have you no plans of setting me down," Charlotte giggled.

"No, not any time soon," Erik replied as he wrapped his arms around her waist and gave her a squeeze.

"I love you so much," Charlotte smiled, kissing his cheek. "You are the best husband ever."

"Well, thank you. I do try. You're an amazing wife as well."

"Thank you," Charlotte said softly. "You're so wonderful."

Erik grinned and gave her a kiss. "As are you."

"Perhaps, but you are perfect," Charlotte smiled. "I could never be as perfect as you."

"Don't be ridiculous. I am nowhere near perfect. You, on the other hand, are more than perfect," he said softly.

"That's hardly true," Charlotte said softly, kissing his cheek.

Erik shook his head. "Of course not. You are perfect, my love. You just struggle to see that, for reasons I fail to comprehend."

"For the same reasons you fail to see that you are perfect," Charlotte chuckled.

"Ah. Is that it?" Erik asked with a smirk. "I should have known, I suppose."

"Precisely," Charlotte laughed. "Now, we really should unpack."

"But now I'm comfortable," Erik whined, sighing quietly.

"I am too," Charlotte sighed. "What if we make Gustave unpack our bags when he's dropped off and we just sit here?"

Erik considered that for a moment. "Do you think we could?"

"I believe I could persuade him if I bake cookies later."

"Should we make an attempt to convince him then?"

Charlotte nodded, resting her head on his shoulder. "By the way, did you wake up feeling sick this morning? I did. I thought maybe it was something we had for dinner."